Putting a suspension fork on a fixed fork bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my present fork has an axle to crown length of 400mm both the rst fork and the rockshox are 470mm so what do you think too much? I am thinking it is essentially going to be used as a flat barred touring bike so the extra stability may be handy with all the camera gear I carr
That's a lot. it's going to change your position on the bike substantially and as said, you would need to know the rake/offset as well which is potentially harder to figure out but should be available in the new fork specs. Just stick your bike on a block as a starter and see how it feels with the bars up so high, you can at least start to get a flavour.

I notice they do a similar model with a Suntour swing fork. Would the fitting of such a fork to your own bike not work? I would imagine if it works on one frame it'll work on yours as they are both the belt drive version and seem to be the same geometry

It wont' be quite so much actually, take about 25% off for suspension sag but still higher.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
Cheers crackle I did look at the swingshock but I haven't found a good review of them yet also nobody seems to have figured out a way of putting mudguards on them

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm with @Crackle, 470mm is a bit of a risk. I'd be looking for something around 450mm if you're going for 100mm travel, or ideally a little shorter for less travel. I'm afraid I'm no use whatsoever on the currently available options.... but if you wanted to go 2nd hand and a bit retro sus forks did use to be a bit shorter than they are now.

I do quite like the look of the swingshock forks though.

Cheers crackle I did look at the swingshock but I haven't found a good review of them yet also nobody seems to have figured out a way of putting mudguards on them
It's an intriguing idea, so I was looking at it on Google and did find a picture which shows how the mudguard would attach at the top, you need to screw it in directly and of course it has eyes for the lower bits, so a mudguard looks do'able

SR_SS_03.JPG

Almost certainly it's not going to be as good as a trekking fork but you may or may not get away with a trekking fork. RST do a similar single shock fork

Attachments

• SR_SS_03.JPG
    SR_SS_03.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 64

keithmac

Guru
I was eying up the Suntour Swing for my Gtec, they don't look too bad for road use.

I bought a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost and the quality was top notch, very impressed with it!.

Top Bottom