Putting metal things in a microwave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've always had it hammered into me that under no circumstances should you put anything metal in a microwave

I've always adhered to this. But we have a combined microwave/grill. I use it for porridge a lot. Occasionally I will use it as a grill for bacon...like this morning

Put the bacon on the metal grill with aluminium foil underneath to catch the drips. Then switched it on. Except I absent-mindeldly switched it on as a microwave. I only noticed a couple of minutes later

The effect? Well, the microwave seems fine. I haven't created a black hole or a ripple in the space/time continuoum. The bacon's a bit rubbery, that's all

So was the edict of "no metal in the microwave on pain of death" ever really a thing???

It depends. Mostly all the metal does is prevent the microwaves moving about freely thus stopping your food getting enough waves to cook.

However, small crickles and peaks can cause sparks as the waves are bounced around which can be hazardous. Also, thin metal like foil can get very very hot which is a potential fire hazard.

Chances are it’ll not cause problems but potentially it can. It’s like leaving a small bathroom window open when you go out. Unlikely to cause problems even if you do it lots but potentially very serious if you’re unlucky. So the advice is don’t.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was told to leave a teaspoon in the glass when I make my hot choc by the kitchen salesman that sold/installed my fitted kitchen with integrated microwave, something to do with stopping the milk boiling over????

I haven't tried it yet in the intervening 5 yrs but there is a funny label on the micro door....

In fact here it is, just for you :okay:

upload_2018-12-4_9-47-21.png

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It depends. Mostly all the metal does is prevent the microwaves moving about freely thus stopping your food getting enough waves to cook.

However, small crickles and peaks can cause sparks as the waves are bounced around which can be hazardous. Also, thin metal like foil can get very very hot which is a potential fire hazard.

Chances are it’ll not cause problems but potentially it can. It’s like leaving a small bathroom window open when you go out. Unlikely to cause problems even if you do it lots but potentially very serious if you’re unlucky. So the advice is don’t.

That bathroom window thing is a concern. Presumably the issue is someone could sneak in through the window and put metal stuff in the microwave?

alicat

Legendary Member
I was told to leave a teaspoon in the glass when I make my hot choc by the kitchen salesman that sold/installed my fitted kitchen with integrated microwave, something to do with stopping the milk boiling over????
I haven't tried it yet in the intervening 5 yrs but there is a funny label on the micro door....

Yep, that's how I reheat coffee. It did my friend's head in, the friend with the D.Phil in Physics.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I reheated a cup of tea in a microwave and noticed sparks flying off the rim. It had gold-coloured paint on it so must have contained something metallic.
A few days later I noticed burning on the mica cover, though this might just have been a coincidence.

Top Bottom