Putting metal things in a microwave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I reheated a cup of tea in a microwave and noticed sparks flying off the rim. It had gold-coloured paint on it so must have contained something metallic.
A few days later I noticed burning on the mica cover, though this might just have been a coincidence.

I did the same with my managers coffee..
The gold on the handle was so hot it was instant blister heat!! And only a minute of max power too..

I was told to leave a teaspoon in the glass when I make my hot choc by the kitchen salesman that sold/installed my fitted kitchen with integrated microwave, something to do with stopping the milk boiling over????

I haven't tried it yet in the intervening 5 yrs but there is a funny label on the micro door....

In fact here it is, just for you :okay:

View attachment 441401
The reason for that label is that water can easily become superheated in a microwave without something to break the surface tension or act as a site of vapour nucleation - without either of these it can't turn from liquid to gas.

As soon as you break the surface tension it will spontaneously explode into vapour and spray superheated water everywhere. Hence the dire warnings.

Mr Celine

Discordian
*And whole, chicken eggs. Try that. That’s a good one.

If you like flames in your microwave put a grape in. Make a small cut at one end of it first.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The reason for that label is that water can easily become superheated in a microwave without something to break the surface tension or act as a site of vapour nucleation - without either of these it can't turn from liquid to gas.

As soon as you break the surface tension it will spontaneously explode into vapour and spray superheated water everywhere. Hence the dire warnings.

I did this once with a cup of water. I plopped a teabag in it, and it exploded. I had no idea what sort of witchcraft this was until I read about it some time later. I thought I'd accidentally bought an explosive teabag or something.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was told to leave a teaspoon in the glass when I make my hot choc by the kitchen salesman that sold/installed my fitted kitchen with integrated microwave, something to do with stopping the milk boiling over????

I haven't tried it yet in the intervening 5 yrs but there is a funny label on the micro door....

In fact here it is, just for you :okay:

View attachment 441401
It can heat water to above 100°C without it boiling. The spoon allows the heat to spread a little more evenly. Also prevents it from "boiling over" if you were to put the spoon in after.

Top Bottom