Putting metal things in a microwave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`ve got a round metal baking sheet that I always use as a tray, and the other evening my meal wasn`t hot enough, so I put it in the microwave for a few minutes - including the metal tray, without thinking.......

No problem whatsoever, no sparks, flames, disasters - NOTHING.

Makes no sense to me, I`ve seen what can happen, but in my case nothing did. Don`t want to try it again though!

We used to pop CD/DVD's in an old microwave for 'secure destruction'. The results were quite pretty. No idea if it was safe or sensible but I can guarantee that media was erased!

I`ve got a round metal baking sheet that I always use as a tray, and the other evening my meal wasn`t hot enough, so I put it in the microwave for a few minutes - including the metal tray, without thinking.......

No problem whatsoever, no sparks, flames, disasters - NOTHING.

Makes no sense to me, I`ve seen what can happen, but in my case nothing did. Don`t want to try it again though!
It’s the fine peaks and troughs that can cause sparks. Smooth tray should be fine. Metal container stops the microwaves penetrating the food. If it’s on metal rather than in metal, again, should be fine.

rikki

Legendary Member
From observing others using microwave ovens in communal kitchens (i.e. not their own microwave)

Aluminium foil trays for takeaway meals cause no problems. However, the cardboard lid with the thin foil coating will catch fire, so leave that off.
The ovens did not appear to be harmed by this treatment which occurred numerous times every day.

I've been told by an electronics engineer that problems arise if there are two different types of metal or metal of varying thickness. So a copper based saucepan is a definite no.

It’s the fine peaks and troughs that can cause sparks. Smooth tray should be fine. Metal container stops the microwaves penetrating the food. If it’s on metal rather than in metal, again, should be fine.

Oh right, you learn something new every day, didn`t know that!

snorri

Legendary Member
I reheated a cup of tea in a microwave and noticed sparks flying off the rim. It had gold-coloured paint on it so must have contained something metallic.
Yes, done that!
There was no apparent damage but I never allowed it to happen again and the oven continued to function satisfactorily for many years after.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Metal in a microwave is how scientists discovered the Hadron Collider!!

Julia9054

Guru
I once tried to dry a wet piece of paper in the microwave. It caught fire.
Reminds me of the 2 A'level physics students who managed to set the school on fire. Debating due to water content whether paper would set alight in the microwave or not, they decided to try it in the microwave in the 6th form common room. Due to an utter lack of common sense, instead of trying it with a small piece of paper, they put in a whole pad. It set on fire.
Panicking, they took it out and quickly threw it in the bin. Which set on fire.
The best course of action at this point was to throw the bin out of the window and run away.
Unfortunately, the window was above a flat roof. Which set on fire!
Result? - several fire engines and a two week exclusion each!
I believe one of the lads went on to study at Cambridge!

Top Bottom