Putting my cycling on hold :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Following the last few weeks of cycling I’ve decided today (after completing a 55 mile charity ride) to stay off the bike for a few months.

It has been 7 months since my crash, and the pain is some days quite bad. I was so eager to get back out I didn’t think of the fact it was hindering my recovery.

Gonna be tough not going out, but I think come January I’ll get back on the turbo ready for April/May to get my fitness back. And hopefully, my arm will start to be less painful.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I admire people who can pace themselves or know when enough is enough. I am hopeless.

Smart trainer next ^_^ TrainerRoad is wonderful and you could set a programme that suits your recovery.

Alan O

Über Member
Following the last few weeks of cycling I’ve decided today (after completing a 55 mile charity ride) to stay off the bike for a few months.

It has been 7 months since my crash, and the pain is some days quite bad. I was so eager to get back out I didn’t think of the fact it was hindering my recovery.

Gonna be tough not going out, but I think come January I’ll get back on the turbo ready for April/May to get my fitness back. And hopefully, my arm will start to be less painful.
That's probably a wise move. I have to say, though, that even if the cycling might be hampering your physical recovery, getting back riding so quickly really boosted your psychological recovery - and that's something that would surely have been harder the longer you waited.

Take it easy and enjoy a bit of rest - and do keep us in the picture with your recovery:thumbsup:

Yup, a move i should probably emulate. The problem I have is that reducing riding until my shoulder recovers means reducing forever.
Shoulder to be replaced. So, until that happens, light cycling. Then, 6 months off for certain, like it or not, and see then if it's possible to carry on.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
That's probably a wise move. I have to say, though, that even if the cycling might be hampering your physical recovery, getting back riding so quickly really boosted your psychological recovery - and that's something that would surely have been harder the longer you waited.

Take it easy and enjoy a bit of rest - and do keep us in the picture with your recovery:thumbsup:

You’re not wrong, getting back to cycling so quick was good for my head. I’m in a much better frame of mind now, and feel happy with my decision to refrain from cycling for a while. I am not sure I could have made that decision back then.

I also realised I had two major surgeries and was a bit naive to think I could get better so quick. Hopefully, come January the pain will be minimal and cycling won’t aggregate it to the degree it is now.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Yup, a move i should probably emulate. The problem I have is that reducing riding until my shoulder recovers means reducing forever.
Shoulder to be replaced. So, until that happens, light cycling. Then, 6 months off for certain, like it or not, and see then if it's possible to carry on.
One of my friend just had a shoulder replacement and she’s had minimal pain with and can move it around a lot better than I can.

But, if I knew I was going to have further surgery I would carry on. Let me know how you get on.

classic33

Leg End Member
You’re not wrong, getting back to cycling so quick was good for my head. I’m in a much better frame of mind now, and feel happy with my decision to refrain from cycling for a while. I am not sure I could have made that decision back then.

I also realised I had two major surgeries and was a bit naive to think I could get better so quick. Hopefully, come January the pain will be minimal and cycling won’t aggregate it to the degree it is now.
Come midnight at the end of this year you'll be setting off on a night ride then!

Just take it easy when you start up again.

One of my friend just had a shoulder replacement and she’s had minimal pain with and can move it around a lot better than I can.

But, if I knew I was going to have further surgery I would carry on. Let me know how you get on.
Going to carry on, definitely. Got to wait another week to let last injection settle, then I'm out riding, and building the next bike. Will post progress, still hoping to do London Brighton next year, so need to start preparing for that.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
Perhaps try other forms of exercise too, maybe swimming, if suitable?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In your shoes, I'd ask medics before doing anything drastic, whether giving up or doing more long rides. I'd expect a little cycling to aid recovery more than hinder but it probably varies. It might be possible to borrow, hire or buy another type of bike, such as a recumbent, which might not aggravate some injuries.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It took me a good 18 months to be pain free after shoulder surgery, so don't beat yourself up.

55 miles will be 3-4 (or more) hours in the saddle - I can't do that anymore after breaking my spine.

I can do upto 2 hours 'on my own' but the pain starts to come in after an hour and it get's progressively worse (agony by the end of the ride). I've done longer with others, but it's been at a sociable pace, with stops, but still not much longer than about 25 miles off road. That's my limit now. This is from someone who could ride all day with no back issues.

Try a turbo, or limit rides to a quick 10 miler or an hour ! You just need to adjust to a new normal. I'm lucky to get out once a week at the moment.

Top Bottom