Putting my cycling on hold :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you still seeing a Physio and doing exercises regularly?
Have you seen the Consultant about your continuing / increasing pain? I had continued problems after my labral tear repair and had to have a capsular release to free it up (also needed a steroid jab afterwards)

Maybe try to see the Consultant for follow up if it doesn’t settle with a few weeks of rest

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I have been off for a week now and my arm has settled down.

I gave up on physio and do the same things myself at home, and I had also got to the stage where I was not in any pain.

I think I may have been over doing the miles. That long in the saddle is too much thinking I could go back to my normal miles.

I’ve booked a bike fit for end of October and when I’ve done that I’m going to go on the turbo.

Alan O

Über Member
I have been off for a week now and my arm has settled down.

I gave up on physio and do the same things myself at home, and I had also got to the stage where I was not in any pain.

I think I may have been over doing the miles. That long in the saddle is too much thinking I could go back to my normal miles.

I’ve booked a bike fit for end of October and when I’ve done that I’m going to go on the turbo.
I definitely find that the buzz of doing something I really like can dull my senses to any pain or discomfort.

I had a minor off on my MTB just over a week ago - more embarrassing than anything, but I did get a bit of bruising round my ribs. I felt more or less fine yesterday and went on a group ride, which was really good - great route, excellent café stop, weather was much better than forecast. And after three of us had extended it from the finish, not wanting to stop having such a good time, I'd done 66 miles without so much as a niggle.

But my ribs are pretty sore this morning. I do see it as a fair trade-off, but for anything serious I do think it can be a good thing to rein in the enthusiasm a bit.

si_c

Guru

When I smashed my shoulder up last year, I got a turbo just to use so I could stay on the bike regardless. I just didn't use my right arm at all, spent most of the time in an upright position and used my left arm when I wanted to change position for a period. Might be something worth considering so that you tick over and not lose too much fitness.

As a side point I found that in an upright position I was better positioned to watch stuff on netflix.

Rockn Robin

Following the last few weeks of cycling I’ve decided today (after completing a 55 mile charity ride) to stay off the bike for a few months.

It has been 7 months since my crash, and the pain is some days quite bad. I was so eager to get back out I didn’t think of the fact it was hindering my recovery.

Gonna be tough not going out, but I think come January I’ll get back on the turbo ready for April/May to get my fitness back. And hopefully, my arm will start to be less painful.

I'm very sorry you suffered from a bad crash. I guess time is what's needed and then ease into it again. Perhaps you rushed things hoping all was OK. You will be up and running soon, but patience is whats needed. At my age, I can't afford to have patience. If I was injured now, which would take a long time to heal due to age, the time taken would be like a race between either riding again or the grave. Don't mean to sound morbid, but that's life I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Arm still quite painful even though been off three weeks now. Think someone said I might’ve jumped the gun a bit going back out, think they were right.

But, not being one to sit around and do nothing about my situation. I’ve got an appointment to start physio again in a few weeks. But more importantly, I’ve booked in for a ‘precision’ bike fit at end of October. This bike shop is so good it’s a 2 month waiting list! Which is why it’s so far away. Really miss my cycling this weekend.

Kajjal

Guru
I would go back to your doctor / consultant and ask about the pain and best approach for recovery.

While less severe my shoulder injury took months to fully recover but the carefully targeted physio really helped.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Arm still quite painful even though been off three weeks now. Think someone said I might’ve jumped the gun a bit going back out, think they were right.

But, not being one to sit around and do nothing about my situation. I’ve got an appointment to start physio again in a few weeks. But more importantly, I’ve booked in for a ‘precision’ bike fit at end of October. This bike shop is so good it’s a 2 month waiting list! Which is why it’s so far away. Really miss my cycling this weekend.
:hugs:

ianbarton

Veteran
It took me a good 18 months to be pain free after shoulder surgery, so don't beat yourself up.

55 miles will be 3-4 (or more) hours in the saddle - I can't do that anymore after breaking my spine.

How long ago did you break your spine and which vertebra was it? I broke my L4 in 1978. It took me more than two years to return to something like normal. Now I do get the odd ache and need to be careful about not jumping off anything, but it's not a problem for cycling.

Rockn Robin

How long ago did you break your spine and which vertebra was it? I broke my L4 in 1978. It took me more than two years to return to something like normal. Now I do get the odd ache and need to be careful about not jumping off anything, but it's not a problem for cycling.

I can't image what it must have been like to deal with a broken vertebra. Right now I am starting physical therapy for my lower back. The lowest disc, according to an MRI I just had, is severely degenerated and with severe bulging. There are others disks that have moderate degeneration, and one of them has severe bulging. So far there is only very mild numbness on the left thigh once in a while, but nothing of a bother. Strange thing is, standing, sitting and even walking is limited somewhat, but riding is fine, perhaps because I am leaning over slightly which releases the compression on the back of the spinal area. The degeneration is shown on the back of the spine, where the front is not as bad. So bending forward is OK, but leaning backwards gives discomfort. I jokingly told my doctor, "fine, I don't care if I have problems walking etc., as long as I can ride my bike."

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Coming upto 3 years at the end of November - L1 and T12. L1 was split in two front to back, and it's now a cheese wedge shape, lost half the front edge. Also 4 ribs.

All healed up (all be it wrong shape) but it's on-going soft tissue issues and 1 damage disc that hasn't yet played up yet. Fortunately, my back was scanned in depth, and I've been told no degeneration given my age (only 48) so should have no other back issues due to age - just the badly broken bit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't image what it must have been like to deal with a broken vertebra. Right now I am starting physical therapy for my lower back. The lowest disc, according to an MRI I just had, is severely degenerated and with severe bulging. There are others disks that have moderate degeneration, and one of them has severe bulging. So far there is only very mild numbness on the left thigh once in a while, but nothing of a bother. Strange thing is, standing, sitting and even walking is limited somewhat, but riding is fine, perhaps because I am leaning over slightly which releases the compression on the back of the spinal area. The degeneration is shown on the back of the spine, where the front is not as bad. So bending forward is OK, but leaning backwards gives discomfort. I jokingly told my doctor, "fine, I don't care if I have problems walking etc., as long as I can ride my bike."

In some ways, a degenerative disc is worse. I didn't really 'appreciate' how bad my back was at the time, because I'd had so much morphine, but I was quite 'chilled' despite my blood oxygen stats dropping to 70% - I'm fine I said, I know that's bad as it should be 94% as a minimum... you don't give a hoot. Good job as had 5 'blood oxygen injections into my wrist - 4 failed - my word they hurt - but morphine - yeh bring it on.

I'm OK ish now, loads of pain, moved to 'long term drugs' this summer as it wasn't possible to continue with the traditional stuff - on Duloxetine, it's an SSRI anti-depressant (happy pill) but it also works well on back pain, and I'd say it does. I'd tried it before for 'other' pain and it didn't work on that pain , but it really makes a difference with my back. Down side is the side effects. Too many to list. Lost a shed load of weight taking it, and really not interested in food any more - not good long term as I can't sustain the weight loss - it's got me back to pre-broken back weight, but if it continues I'll be getting worried - I am very tired taking it anyway, and not riding as much as I haven't eaten.

Still get excruciating pain setting in after an hour on the bike - starts building from 30 minutes from uncomfortable, to oh hell. But it's not 'dangerous' as you get assessed on. Just have to ride through it.

ianbarton

Veteran
Coming upto 3 years at the end of November - L1 and T12. L1 was split in two front to back, and it's now a cheese wedge shape, lost half the front edge. Also 4 ribs.

All healed up (all be it wrong shape) but it's on-going soft tissue issues and 1 damage disc that hasn't yet played up yet. Fortunately, my back was scanned in depth, and I've been told no degeneration given my age (only 48) so should have no other back issues due to age - just the badly broken bit.
My L4 was quite mangled. I lost my right knee jerk reflex and sense of pain on the inside of my right calf (although I can still feel touch). Your injury might resolve itself eventually as your soft tissue adapts itself to your new shape. It's hard with injuries like yours, as you never know how much it's going to improve with time.

Once I left hospital my pain was bearable without taking pain killers. However, I remember the first few days being really bad. I had a skull fracture, so they didn't give me any pain killers in case it masked head injury symptoms. I can remember sneezing and passing out, as the pain caused by the slight pressure on my spine was so intense!

Last edited:
Top Bottom