Q about the Humber Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Can you walk across the HB now? I know this was stopped at one point because of people going over the edge. The barrier doesn't look high enough to me.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Can you walk across the HB now? I know this was stopped at one point because of people going over the edge. The barrier doesn't look high enough to me.
Yes it is fully open again

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I was more meaning the roads on the south bank, and some of those on the north too. Us locals know that they're nothing dramatic on the bigger scale, but can catch people out if they expect it to be as flat as a billiard table.

I took the wrong road (Ferriby Road) south out of Barton upon Humber just after crossing the HB and rode all the way up a massive hill (it felt massive 60 miles into the days ride on a heavy bike!) as far as the A15 roundabout before I discovered I’d gone wrong. I rode down it again and found the right road (Caistor) high went up the same hill, again, just a bit further east. How I laughed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Thanks for the info everyone. I was thinking of train to Hull then off south into Lincolnshire. If necessary (weather, time or nerves) I'll get the bus from Hull across the bridge and/or further afield - if I ride across the bridge I might also use a conveniently-timed bus to avoid the hills which appear while I'm sure I'll still be recovering from the bridge ride!
I might train back from Lincoln or do a circular back to Hull. I might even go somewhere else entirely ... only in the vaguest of planning stages at the moment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If you get train to York. There is the solar system traffic free cycle way to Selby. Then from Selby via Snaith and Epworth and can get to Gainsborough. Then from there to Lincoln maybe via Upton and the last coal fired fish and chip shop in England.

All fairly flat apart from ridge above Lincoln but even that can be avoided by coming in via Skellingthorpe on the cycle way.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Thanks for the info everyone. I was thinking of train to Hull then off south into Lincolnshire. If necessary (weather, time or nerves) I'll get the bus from Hull across the bridge and/or further afield - if I ride across the bridge I might also use a conveniently-timed bus to avoid the hills which appear while I'm sure I'll still be recovering from the bridge ride!
I might train back from Lincoln or do a circular back to Hull. I might even go somewhere else entirely ... only in the vaguest of planning stages at the moment.

When you ride from the train station to Hessle and then over the bridge and have a massive sense of achievement pop to the cafe below for a recharge and cake and beverage :smile:

http://www.visitnorthlincolnshire.com/item/waters-edge-country-park-visitor-centre/

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If you get train to York. There is the solar system traffic free cycle way to Selby. Then from Selby via Snaith and Epworth and can get to Gainsborough. Then from there to Lincoln maybe via Upton and the last coal fired fish and chip shop in England.

All fairly flat apart from ridge above Lincoln but even that can be avoided by coming in via Skellingthorpe on the cycle way.
The solar system cycle path was a nice ride when I did it on the Brompton a few years ago. I enjoyed checking out the different planets.

There was an honesty cafe on the route. At an old station I think. I love that sort of thing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The solar system cycle path was a nice ride when I did it on the Brompton a few years ago. I enjoyed checking out the different planets.

There was an honesty cafe on the route. At an old station I think. I love that sort of thing.

I enjoyed it, and the space craft at the end, was it one of the Voyagers or Pioneer? Can’t remember.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Nor can I but I took photos. I might be able to dig them out...
1643187326906.png

👍Cassini

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It derives from the River Humber
Is the Humber actually a river in its own right? Or is it the name of the Trent/Ouse estuary? That is, is it correct to say "River Humber" or should it just be "The Humber" And are there any other estuaries that are named distinctly from their rivers?

Genuine question by the way, and apologies in advance for any offence it may cause.

Last edited:
Is the Humber actually a river in its own right? Or is it the name of the Trent/Ouse estuary? That is, is it correct to say "River Humber" or should it just be "The Humber" And are there any other estuaries that are named distinctly from their rivers?

Genuine question by the way, and apologies in advance for any offence it may cause.

Strictly speaking, there is no 'River Humber' it is actually the Humber Estuary although it is a very debatable point. Many experts and official documents use either, and even both in the same documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom