QR Pedals for reducing theft ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Just wondered if anyone has fitted quick release removable pedals in order to make their bike less nickable ?

jay clock

Massive member
In all my years of leaving bikes in scabby areas I have never heard of pedals being nicked. If they are expensive enough to have some value and therefore on a decent bike you should probably get a scrappier bike for that area

jay clock

Massive member
I think the OP meant. With the pedals removed it would be more difficult for the tea leaf to ride bike away.
Sorry! I didn't read properly. Good question. My "non nickable station bike" is an adequate Trek hybrid that was left outside for a year at some point so lots of tarnishing, then the frame wrapped badly in electrical tape, a rusty basket cable tied to the back and plastic purple pedals and a quite unattractively coloured saddle

vickster

Legendary Member
Easier to remove seatpost and saddle?

Not sure I'd trust QR pedals to stay firmly attached, do such things exist?

D

Deleted member 26715

This is a qr pedal. though it's flat not SPD
Neat idea but how long will they work after getting fully crudded up, what's the chance the scumbag would just walk away with it, or if they were that concerned let the back tyre down & feign a puncture who is going to question somebody pushing a bike with a flat tyre.

D

Deleted member 23692

It would just make the bike less rideable rather then less nickable. Money would be better spent on a decent lock(s)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I read, years ago, of a police sting on bike thefts. They removed the split link and replaced it with thin string. So when a bloke tried to knick the bike he came a cropper and they nabbed him.
Today they'd have been done for entrapment and injuring the would-be theif.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The best way of deterring a thief is with multiple different types of locks or 2 good D locks. I know you roadies spend vast sums of money for the lightest this and that and end up with those light, totally useless wire locks or strap locks but you'd be better off covering your bike in excrement, it certainly would be more of a deterrent. To beat the thief, you need to slow the thief down, if they really want it however, they'll probably get it if the 'risk/reward' is there!

Easier to remove seatpost and saddle?

Not sure I'd trust QR pedals to stay firmly attached, do such things exist?

Wellgp do a quick release pedal fitting and an SPD pedal that goes with it. Never had any problems clipping in or, more importantly, out but the pedals themselves are not the highest quality

Top Bottom