Quality brand of gas cooker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Can anyone recommend a quality brand of gas cooker please?

When my old one died I couple of years ago I was restricted in what I could buy to replace it because it needed to fit into the 50cm gap in the units. I think there were only a couple I could choose from. I'm not very happy with it. Despite being, allegedly the same size as the one the interior (and exterior) is smaller and standard baking trays are too large to fit. And I don't think it's very well insulated -and that can't be very efficient.

Now I'm thinking of getting the kitchen re-fitted so I could choose a different sized cooker & have more choice. I prefer to buy long-lasting quality products - the original cooker lasted 25 years and it was only the thermostat that failed - I wish now I'd kept it.

So what brands should I look at?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a bit of a lottery. We're happy with the BEKO gas hob and electric oven that replaced the original Zannusi units. The originals started falling to bits. The heating element went on the oven last year, but that's quite common and was a very cheap fix £10 and 30 minutes work to remove and refit the element (including pulling oven out).

You are probably best looking at the one you like best for your needs - i.e. how big it is inside as they aren't all the same, despite the standard external diameter.

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
If you’re refitting your kitchen i'd go gas hob and electric fan oven.
I did and bought Neff in both instances with no problems at all apart from an interior light bulb in the last 8 years.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Should you even be thinking of a gas cooker, I'm in the same position I would like a new one, but they are pushing to get rid of all gas appliances in homes, new builds after 2025, if this was pushed forwards you may only get a few years service out of your new cooker.
I have cooked on everything going and I really hate electric, but it looks like we are being pushed into having it if we like it or not.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re refitting your kitchen i'd go gas hob and electric fan oven.
I did and bought Neff in both instances with no problems at all apart from an interior light bulb in the last 8 years.
And a pyrolitic oven at that if you are going to use it extensively, esp for roasting/other fatty spitty things!

steverob

Guru
I feel your pain. We also only had a 50cm gap in our house for a cooker when we moved in to it and basically, it seems that the only companies who will do cookers that size are brands you don't recognise and (based on reviews of their products) ones you can't trust either. On the rare occasions a known brand will do a small cooker, it's normally their bargain basement model with none of the features and lacking in build quality as well, so you're screwed both ways.

Our solution was to get the kitchen refitted about 4 years after moving in and insist on a 60cm gap being left by the builders. Not much help to you I'll admit, but that's the only way we could solve the conundrum.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Very happy with my Neff ovens. We have two and now 6 yes old with zero faults apart from the odd interior bulb. I've said it now so both will probably fail terminally this weekend!!!

You've got a light in your oven?

Very posh, I use a torch.

Oh, and a cigarette lighter to fire up the rings, although the sparky thing still works for the oven.

Which leads me into my recommendation for the OP.

Get something simple with as few electrical extras as possible, because that's the stuff that goes wrong.

The basic gas plumbing and burners should last for many years of domestic use.

Another advantage of that strategy is such a cooker is likely to be among the cheapest.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You are probably best looking at the one you like best for your needs - i.e. how big it is inside as they aren't all the same, despite the standard external diameter.
It's very frustrating. I'm not making huge roast dinners for a family. I'd just like to be able to buy a baking tray that fits in the oven.

Should you even be thinking of a gas cooker, I'm in the same position I would like a new one, but they are pushing to get rid of all gas appliances in homes, new builds after 2025, if this was pushed forwards you may only get a few years service out of your new cooker.
I have cooked on everything going and I really hate electric, but it looks like we are being pushed into having it if we like it or not.
I hadn't heard that. However, another reason to go electric is that the cooker is the only gas appliance I have. Which is fine as long as I have a gas tarrif that has no standing charge - the bill is about £12 per year. But if they bring in a standing charge...

I feel your pain. We also only had a 50cm gap in our house for a cooker when we moved in to it and basically, it seems that the only companies who will do cookers that size are brands you don't recognise and (based on reviews of their products) ones you can't trust either. On the rare occasions a known brand will do a small cooker, it's normally their bargain basement model with none of the features and lacking in build quality as well, so you're screwed both ways.

Our solution was to get the kitchen refitted about 4 years after moving in and insist on a 60cm gap being left by the builders. Not much help to you I'll admit, but that's the only way we could solve the conundrum.
I've just looked at the existing setup & the units either side of the cooker both seem to have extra wide carcasses. So it seems that there's space for a wider cooker without losing cupboard space.

Thanks all - looks like a couple of votes for Neff & one for Beko. But perhaps I shouldn't be looking at gas at all...

I can understand why some people buy a microwave, kettle and a supply of ready meals :sad:

I am considering losing my gas hob for an induction hob. A lot of chefs seem to like them. I can only find one model between the 30cm width and standard 65cm which is s bit wide for the small galley kitchen of a terraced house.

Top Bottom