Quality, long lasting cycling products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm at a stage in life now where I don't care for fashion, I want to buy things that are well made and will last - partly for reasons to do with reducing the impact of my consumption, and partly because I believe doing so represents better value - I'd rather wear a coat that cost £250 a thousand times at 25p a wear than wear a coat that cost £50 100 times at 50p a wear. This does not necessarily mean spending more though - my pen of choice is a Jinhao X750 which is as nice to use as my Waterman Expert, and cost less than a fiver including delivery from China as opposed to £60 for the Waterman (and that was in a sale).

I would also like to get away from using plastic-based material if there are alternatives that are better, as good or even almost as good.

So - I'm on the look out for some decent 'bad weather' clothing which ideally I can use both on and off the bike. So far I've come up with the following options:

1) Carradice Duxback poncho - this looks useful, but I'm concerned that it will be a bulky item to carry about 'just in case', it will be a nightmare to deal with when I take it off wet, and although I said above that I don't care for fashion, there are limits and I feel like I'd look like a wally both on and off the bike in it.

2) Things made from 'Ventile' - which is billed as being all natural and has a strong association with being 'British' if that appeals (was invented at Shirley Institute in Manchester, which I used to walk past on the way home from school) However, it's now made in Switzerland, and is coated with a fluorocarbon-based water repellent which is seemingly terrible for the environment. However, I guess one has to assess if it's longevity makes this a good trade-off.

3) Buffalo products - which are made on the industrial estate where I get my car serviced, so nice and local etc -but are made from a man made fibre. That said, they seem to be very durable and very highly regarded by those that use them.

Any other recommendations for outdoor 'weather proof' gear that will be long lasting and represent good value over time that I ought to be looking at? I ride my bike for commuting in all weathers, and for pleasure - ideally on nice days, but you never know. I also like to go walking when time allows, and obviously you can get any weather at any time doing that too - but I'm not intending to go polar exploring or anything!

Venod

Eh up
I have a lot of Rohan clothing some bought new a lot second hand, some stuff from the 70s 80s still in use, a bit expensive new, but there is always a good selection on eBay.

My brother was very proud of his Rohan trousers.

Only snag was they showed every drop of liquid that landed on them.

This made going to the toilet, particularly after a few pints, challenging.
:smile:

Yes - all mens pants should by law have a prominently displayed rating for that - a few times with clever material I have been forced to lurk in the toilets with some furtive drying after the merest drip caused issues - once with a PR client waiting in a posh London restaurant. (I think I may have had a jacket with me which helped as I made my confident/furtive/meandering way back to the table).

Dark colours a good idea I think.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you followed your philosophy you would take a look at Lusso clothing, which is manufactured fully in Radcliffe, Greater Manchester. Their kit is excellent quality, the shorts have won awards, although I don't care so much for the fussy designs with lots of panels and details. The company is owned by a modest cyclist named John Harrison.

On other kit, I went through about four sets of Look Keo pedals, which wore out or fell apart in five years. I gave up and switched to Shimano SPD-SL and the pedals still look like new after three years of use.

Knees-up - I'd check out TKMaxx - they often have real quality Craghoppers stuff in the outdoor section.
To be honest I wouldn't get too hung up on the material - if you wear the thing a lot/don't go in for fast fashion/amassing more junk I think that is pretty green in itself. I wouldn't worry about this any more than I would worry about the production process of my steel bikes. I don't drive, rarely fly, buy few clothes apart from cycling stuff which lasts forever, buy some clothing in charity shops - my favourite leather jacket and boots came from a charity shop.

If you followed your philosophy you would take a look at Lusso clothing, which is manufactured fully in Radcliffe, Greater Manchester.

Not criticising you or them but is this really true?

Including all the material?

Very hard to do that these days.

I do have two light Lusso waterproof tops which I like - been meaning to buy some Lussso bibtights for a while - feel free to recommend some.

The NorthWest wasn't just King Cotton of course - some really innovative materials tech post war - still mourning the loss of my Pertex karrimor top - Pertex I think may have come from Padiham - now owned by the Japanese I think and produced out east.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My Walz cycling gap is one of those wool items that is showerproof if not, ultimately, waterproof.

It's the only piece of cycling kit I own that could be described as premium.

A cycling jacket to me is an £8.99 fleece from a supermarket.

But I do get years of wear out of one.

My current favourite came from C&A.

For the benefit of younger readers, C&A was a budget clothing chain.

Sad day for me when they shut.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Walz cycling gap is one of those wool items that is showerproof if not, ultimately, waterproof.

It's the only piece of cycling kit I own that could be described as premium.

A cycling jacket to me is an £8.99 fleece from a supermarket.

But I do get years of wear out of one.

My current favourite came from C&A.

For the benefit of younger readers, C&A was a budget clothing chain.

Sad day for me when they shut.
They still exist in Germany

I'm not adding more options, but I'll strongly endorse Buffalo products; at least Buffalo shirts in their various incarnations. Whilst I think I'd find my Buffalo shirt too warm for [road] cycling other than well below zero, it's a fantastic, rugged, very long lasting without undue care, bit of kit for 'cool to very cold' weather outdoors on hills. So long as you're generating at least a little bit of heat, you stay comfortable and dry from both interior and exterior sources of liquid. And best of all, given your statements in your post, you can rest assured that you'll look as if you've gone out wearing the lagging from a hot water tank - absolutely no danger at all of anyone thinking that you're trying to look good, or fashionable.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not criticising you or them but is this really true?

Including all the material?

Very hard to do that these days.

I do have two light Lusso waterproof tops which I like - been meaning to buy some Lussso bibtights for a while - feel free to recommend some.

The NorthWest wasn't just King Cotton of course - some really innovative materials tech post war - still mourning the loss of my Pertex karrimor top - Pertex I think may have come from Padiham - now owned by the Japanese I think and produced out east.

No the fabrics come from Italy but everything is stitched together in an anonymous shed near my office.

I believe Pertex used to be typewriter ribbon. I though it came from near Hebden Bridge.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't remember the name of their bib shorts but they tested best out of 10 shorts in a magazine recently. Repel Max? You'll find the details on the Lusso site. They are very good indeed so I'd think the 3/4 bibs would be equally good. I have only ever had 2 pairs of Lusso thermal bib tights in about 25 years as they last so long.

Top Bottom