Quality, long lasting cycling products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
For the benefit of younger readers, C&A was a budget clothing chain.

Sad day for me when they shut.
I am reminded of the old 'joke' about a husband and wife in the lingerie department:

Wife: "My goodness look at these ridiculous knickers - there's nothing to them! I wouldn't know which way round to wear them!"
Husband "You'd be fine, they're labelled C&A"

I got about 15 years out of my Paramo jacket before relegating it to gardening duties. Paramo are really good for repairs and refurbishment. They are for winter use but excellent in stop start rain and continuous downpour and in the dry. I wouldn't wear a conventional breathable waterproof in the dry if possible.
New models seem less well designed than my old Cuzco. The material is thinner and has more panels and stitching, the hood is fixed and does not stash out of the way. The hand pockets can only be accessed by unzipping the side vents first, not very practical. There is less reflective material except on the bike specific model. The sizing and is just bizzare and the colour scheme is unique.
I have a Buffalo style jacket but it only sees action on very cold, damp days. They advise wearing it next to the skin which is not good for everyday wear.

pawl

Legendary Member
If you followed your philosophy you would take a look at Lusso clothing, which is manufactured fully in Radcliffe, Greater Manchester. Their kit is excellent quality, the shorts have won awards, although I don't care so much for the fussy designs with lots of panels and details. The company is owned by a modest cyclist named John Harrison.

On other kit, I went through about four sets of Look Keo pedals, which wore out or fell apart in five years. I gave up and switched to Shimano SPD-SL and the pedals still look like new after three years of use.

I like Lusso shorts.I find them to be more comfortable than other brands and are usually a reasonable
Price.
I find my usual source Merlin Cycles only has bibs currently in stock.Have tried other on line stores come up as stocking Lusso but show as out of stock.Has anyone have ideas of others stockists.

They don't seem to be too widely stocked. A google search did turn up chain reaction but it was only a ghost hit and they don't seem to stock them anymore. Maybe lusso is trying to restrict distribution/hold the prices up.

Gixxerman

Guru
Have you considered outdoor mountain clothing manufacturers? They are made to last if you get the good stuff like Rab, Mountain Equipment, Montane, Berghaus.

Venod

Eh up
Rapha stuff is good if you avoid their cheap range, again second hand is the best value, some people buy it and lose weight quickly through cycling, so there is often bargains to be found in the larger sizes.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Mulesing friendly merino for me. And when you can’t wear it anymore, it composts down.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My brother was very proud of his Rohan trousers.

Only snag was they showed every drop of liquid that landed on them.

This made going to the toilet, particularly after a few pints, challenging.
You need to master the art of Limbo dancing under the hand dryer.:ohmy:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Hilltrek still make the ventile Greenspot-type cycling coat. I have one and it stands me in good stead for winter on and off bike. Can be made to measure but NOT cheap.
Cioch make good gear in the isle of Skye.
Woolpower socks and baselayers

Top Bottom