Query re: the saddle / backside interface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed! £250 is a lot of money, especially when taking in an existing bike which could easily be deemed to be the "wrong size". I wanted to get a bike fit on my Giant Defy as I was experiencing discomfort in the shoulders and neck, but not on my Bianchi (for which the LBS gave me a full, complementary bike fit when I bought it). My LBS here in Nottingham wanted £250 when I enquired about getting a fit for the Giant...... I declined, and went to my daughters LBS in North Yorks where they charged just £75 for a very comprehensive fit taking a couple of hours. Shop around to find a better deal if possible.
If you have a Bianchi that fits well, why not translate the riding position and points of contact to your Giant?

RegG

Über Member
If you have a Bianchi that fits well, why not translate the riding position and points of contact to your Giant?
We've tried that but still finding the Giant uncomfortable. It was bought from a local shop who simply looked at my height and said "This one will be fine!" At that time I did not have the knowledge I have now about getting a good fit!

We've tried that but still finding the Giant uncomfortable. It was bought from a local shop who simply looked at my height and said "This one will be fine!" At that time I did not have the knowledge I have now about getting a good fit!
I find that the most accurate and easy system for translating a position from one bike to another is with an [x,y] coordinate system to eliminate angles. Use the bottom bracket as [0,0].plumbline, measuring tape and a few bits of masking tape on the top tube to mark are all you need.

Back on the topic of sore undercarriage, had no problem whatever on today's ride, but realised at the start that the saddle was full of water.
No issue. Until the hot water from the shower hit it...
@Reynard, I may just be looking for that extra layer you mentioned!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find that the most accurate and easy system for translating a position from one bike to another is with an [x,y] coordinate system to eliminate angles. Use the bottom bracket as [0,0].plumbline, measuring tape and a few bits of masking tape on the top tube to mark are all you need.
The difficulty then can be that the angles limit the range of possible positions of the saddle and handlebars relative to the bottom bracket crank axle. If you're lucky, new stems and seatposts with no/large setback/extension may bring it in range, but not always.

12boy

Guru
Regarding the underwear issue... I ride in Rivendell shorts or long pants which are made from tough nylon and have a gusset so there are no seams digging into the nethers. My ordinary cotton underwear also has no seams in that area. That is what I wear unless it's cold in which case it's polyester/merino long johns which also are unseamed in the small but critical area which matters. When it's too cold for that, a bike short liner with minimal padding and cross country ski pants, upon which water beads up instead of soaking in are my go tos. I could wear short liners every day but washing them daily or buying many pairs is too much. I only wear the cotton ones for one ride before washing since I'd like to avoid saddle sores. My temps range from -18 to 40 Celsius with low humidity. If I were to live in a cool, damp climate a different approach might be best. Riding with little weight on your hands means most of the load is bearing on the sitbones and that, to me at least, means what is between the bones and the saddle is important to comfort.

Back on the topic of sore undercarriage, had no problem whatever on today's ride, but realised at the start that the saddle was full of water.
No issue. Until the hot water from the shower hit it...
@Reynard, I may just be looking for that extra layer you mentioned!

Ouch! :hugs:

I got mine from Decathlon, though of course, I can't comment on the blokes' styles. But all their running underwear is made from a wicking fabric.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-825605-running-underwear

Find the ladies' briefs really comfy, so I now use them for daily wear as well. And at £3.99 a pair, they don't exactly break the bank.

OldShep

Über Member
That’s hard to fathom surely something hasn’t been copied over correctly?

Top Bottom