Question about brake cable's outer casing (in a frame with internal cabling)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Torquewrench

Hello! Okay, it is most likely another silly question, but I just want to be sure and I hope someone (who has similar bike frame - which has partial internal cabling) will clarify to me this situation of mine :smile:

I am setting up my first custom bike based on the Specialized Diverge A1 (2016 model) bike's frame. At the moment I am running through all the cables and stuck a bit with the rear brake cable.

There is a hole in the frame for rear brake cable - does the outer cable go through the whole length of the frame tube inside or just till the top hole and the only 'naked' wire (inner cable) goes till it emerges out from the frame? I hope you could understood what I meant
icon_smile.gif
maybe someone has same bike and could check?
icon_smile.gif

I have uploaded the picture with the top hole.

Thanks! I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Attachments

• diverge.jpg
    diverge.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 124

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It could be either, depending on manufacturer and frame design. From your pictures there doesn't seem to be any end ferrules visible so I would guess at continuous casing right through the frame.

To answer your question, no, the outer cable just joins the frame at the hole, via a little grommet, which goes into the hole. The inner goes into the frame, with no outer around it (bare cable). However I’ve found the best way to thread the inner through the frame, is to feed an excessive amount of outer cable through the frame, then feed the inner all the way through, then withdraw the outer, leaving the inner cable in position ( if you see what I mean). Then put enough outer cable over the section of inner cable that’s outside the frame.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
To answer your question, no, the outer cable just joins the frame at the hole, via a little grommet, which goes into the hole. The inner goes into the frame, with no outer around it (bare cable). However I’ve found the best way to thread the inner through the frame, is to feed an excessive amount of outer cable through the frame, then feed the inner all the way through, then withdraw the outer, leaving the inner cable in position ( if you see what I mean). Then put enough outer cable over the section of inner cable that’s outside the frame.
That doesn't make any sense at all! If the frame has stops for the outer to butt against then how can you possibly thread full length outer through the frame?

OP
OP
Torquewrench

Torquewrench

thanks guys! I probably had to provide more pictures so it would be clearer for you to check?
Here, near the bottom bracket there is an exit for the cable, an looks like that: Pic1
And the outer casing can go through easily:Pic2
But I found out that the outer casing could be covered with the metal end like that (just random bit among my clutter): Pic3
and this way the outer casing could start from the exit hole: Pic4
So if that is the case - probably I should let the outer casing go into the top hole for like 10cm and then let bare cable wire go within the frame tube till the exit and then continue with the outer casing till the rear brake bracket? (Pic5 and Pic6)

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2980.jpg
    IMG_2980.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 91
thanks guys! I probably had to provide more pictures so it would be clearer for you to check?
Here, near the bottom bracket there is an exit for the cable, an looks like that:
And the outer casing can go through easily:
But I found out that the outer casing could be covered with the metal end like that (just random bit among my clutter):
and this way the outer casing could start from the exit hole:
So if that is the case - probably I should let the outer casing go into the top hole for like 10cm and then let bare cable wire go within the frame tube till the exit and then continue with the outer casing till the rear brake bracket?
That’s right, put a load of outer cable through the hole on one side, feed it through the frame, until it reaches the other side / hole. Feed the inner through until it is clear through the frame ( using the outer cable as a guide sheath). Then withdraw the outer cable, leaving the inner cable in situ. Then cut the outer cable into the requisite sized sections, attatch the grommets, feed the sections of outer with the inner cable, outside of the frame. Leaving the exposed inner cable nicely located inside the frame.

OP
OP
Torquewrench

Torquewrench

Tattatch the grommets, feed the sections of outer with the inner cable, outside of the frame. Leaving the exposed inner cable nicely located inside the frame.
cool! just one thing - there is nothing I can attach onto the outer casing for the top hole - only casing can go in, so will leave about 10cm of casing to stay within the frame/tube - the rest of cable will go 'naked' till the exit, and form there I will use the rest of the cut casing to cover cable till the brake's bracket. Hope it will work out :smile:
Thanks guys!

cool! just one thing - there is nothing I can attach onto the outer casing for the top hole - only casing can go in, so will leave about 10cm of casing to stay within the frame/tube - the rest of cable will go 'naked' till the exit, and form there I will use the rest of the cut casing to cover cable till the brake's bracket. Hope it will work out :smile:
Thanks guys!
That should be fine, I’m not 100 percent sure, but there may be a grommet available that fits the top hole, and tidies it up a bit.

Top Bottom