Question about Contour HD cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's actually a Contour Roam2, but I think the mounts are the same for all the contours.

My question is this - I have the vented helmet mount, and I've put it in, and set it up. However, the camera now won't slide back off the mount. There were little (read NO) instructions with the camera at all, and the downloadable manual doesn't help. I appreciate the mount probably 'sticks' as a security feature to stop the camera falling off, but am I missing something as to removing it? Is it just brute force, or do I have to push or click something I haven't found yet? I've used some force and it won't go past the 'locked' stage as I slide it off, but don't want to risk breaking it...

An help appreciated! @gaz @BentMikey as I know you two have used contours in the past!

lulubel

Über Member
I assume you mean it won't slide forward? (I had to slide mine backward to put it on.)

I can't help, though, because I have exactly the same problem. I think it's probably just a very tight fit so it doesn't work loose as you're riding - it was difficult to slide it off the bar mount when I was using that. It isn't an issue for me because I have 2 helmets, and the camera stays on one of them permanently.

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Yes lulu - sorry you're right, it's forward it won't slide. I can see its a safety feature I think, just aren't sure if getting it off is a matter of brute force, or if there's a trick to it!

I may swap mine between mounts depending on how I get on with it - can see myself preferring the bar mount for long journeys as the extra weight on my head won't be appreciated, but helmet mount for commuting is much easier and more versatile to swap between bikes.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's tight, for sure, which is a good thing. The mount has a couple of bits on the rails that protrude slightly that stick into matching indentations on the grooves of the camera.

Just brute force and, in my case, ignorance will get it off.

Alternatively take your helmet to the PC and just plug the cable in with the camera in situ.

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
It's tight, for sure, which is a good thing. The mount has a couple of bits on the rails that protrude slightly that stick into matching indentations on the grooves of the camera.

Just brute force and, in my case, ignorance will get it off.

Alternatively take your helmet to the PC and just plug the cable in with the camera in situ.

You're a star thanks! I used more force than I had been, and it came off properly. I was just too tentative before with the 'new toy'.

Thanks again :smile: Knowing there wasn't a trick let me be a bit more confident with my efforts!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You're a star thanks! I used more force than I had been, and it came off properly. I was just too tentative before with the 'new toy'.

Thanks again :smile: Knowing there wasn't a trick let me be a bit more confident with my efforts!

No worries. As with many things, once you've slid it in and out a few times it gets easier.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The first few times it is really hard to get off. but after that it becomes a doddle.

Top Bottom