Question About Rear Derailleur Adjustment Screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Maybe (depends how you define modern (?expensive, hi-end)).
I hadn't realised when I posted the above that it was only higher end (105 & above), though like other things, I'm sure it will soon filter down.

Most derailleurs (including the overwhelming majority on bikes made this decade) use limit screws which can be adjusted with a cross or flat blade screwdriver. I suggest that an RD/FD with fancy hex socket screws is a totally unnecessary change merely made by manufacturers for the sake of it, with no beneficial effect.
It has the beneficial effect of no longer needing screwdrivers as well as hex keys. Every screw on my bike has a hex key head. It means your multitool you carry with you dosn't need screwdriver heads (though most still do), nor does your torque wrench (though you don't need that for limit screws).

iluvmybike

Über Member
You probably know this, but Shimano use JIS screws and ideally you should be using a JIS screwdriver, not Philips or Posidriv. This is more important with screws that need to be tight, like the ones on SPD pedal bindings, but be careful with derailleur B-tension screws.
Its a SRAM mech not Shimano

Top Bottom