Question about selling a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

I wish to sell my Cube Peloton Pro 2012. What's the protocol regarding:

Do i allow test rides (not all shops do and how will i know they will come back and what if they damage it?

I want to keep my pedals and bottle cages so do i take those off before the pic or do i put a note in the sale listing.

I'm not keen on strangers knowing where i live. Can i agrange to meet away from home and bring the bikes paper work.

How do i value you the bike. it has no marks and the only reason i am selling is because i am more an up right person so i am getting a mountain bike. The tyres are 'All condition Armadilo' have the original tyres and saddle which they can have as well.

Does size matter? it's a 53. Do those sell well

I was thinking £550. is that good or bad

musa

Über Member
State what's in the sale no pedals etc
look around for similar prices of s/h if your not sure

Meet in a local place if you wish. Not many people turn up for bikes timewasters for you

^ what they said, plus completed listings on eBay are usually a good way to gauge something's worth, however there haven't been many of your bike passing through it seems.

Oh yes, and make sure it's sparkly clean and take loads of pics too, the more the merrier IME.

Nebulous

Guru
Buying/ selling high value items is always a risk and it's up to you to decide how best to protect yourself. Remember that some things you might choose to do could also put buyers off though. For instance when buying bikes we're often advised against meeting a seller in a public place in case the bike is stolen. If I was buying one I'd expect to meet a buyer at an address linked to them, like their home.Selling I certainly wouldn't want to let someone out of my sight, but buying I'd expect a test ride!

It's a worrying thing to do, especially with cash which is generally preferred for deals. I once bought a nearly new caravan on Ebay, for what to me was a huge amount of money. It was hundreds of miles away and we travelled overnight. All the time I was worrying about what I would find. Did the caravan exist? Would we be shown into a big enclosed yard with lots of men with sticks and big dogs, knowing we were carrying a lot of cash?

When we got there it was a really nice couple in a big house who invited us in, gave us tea, and let us use their toilet facilities. So by all means prepare for the worst, but the chances are it will be relatively straight-forward.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Take the cage off, it won't harm the pics - some people think bikes look better without them.

Leave the pedals on, sounds daft but a buyer might be put off by a pic of something they can't ride straight away.

Pedals level looks best, and your main side on shot should show the bike facing the right, it's the way people read, so a bike facing left doesn't look as well.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
how much do you want for the pink socks !!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Remove your personal email address from the advert , if someone is interested they can pm you and then you can give contact details or you leave yourself open for spam from anyone who can see it.

mossj88

1) I wouldn't allow test rides (regardless of how far away they will go) unless they've already paid or leave the cash with you.

2) Thats fine I'd take them off before the picture is taken and also state it in the listing

3) I wouldn't do this... a) it looks like you've got something to hide i.e the bikes stolen, b) whats to stop them jumping you and taking your bike. I sold my bike and let the buyer into the first room of the house to exchange cash/sign recipts.

4) The bikes worth what people will pay, if you put it on eBay and set the starting price as the minimum you will accept then it will find it's value when the auction finishes (don't be suprised if the value jumps up at the end of the auction

akb

Veteran
Test rides; i personally wouldnt buy a bike without it. Take some form of deposit. If they have driven to meet you, their car keys for example.

Only show in the pictures what you are intending on selling. Nothing worse than finding out later that you have purchased something with some bits missing. You wil be surprised at how many potential buyers will only skim read the description.

Meet at your home, show the potential buyer you have nothing to hide. Maybe do the deal in the garage?

eBay is your friend, also have a look at what the price is now new and put a price inbetween the two. Set your self a min sell price and allow the buyer to haggle on the price.

Good luck!

Top Bottom