Question about wheel wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My new bike which I ordered online came with both front and wheel wobble. I have booked it in for wheel truing at my LBS. It's booked in for next monday but probably won't be ready until next wednesday. My question is, is the bike a) safe to ride until the wobble has been sorted out and b) will the riding the bike whilst there is wobble damage the bike? The wheel wobble isn't massive, about a mm on both wheels. I ask because I use my bike most days for commuting and club rides and it will be a massive pain in the posterior if I can't use it in the meantime.

S-Express

Are you measuring the 1mm 'wobble' at the rim or the tyre?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1 mm on the rim meaning that the rim is moving 1 mm on each side? If so, that sounds about right. It is very noticeable though.

In any direction. You've either got a keen eye or it's more than 1mm. I'd true mine up but that's me being fussy and I have a wheel trying stand but for that small is do it with the wheel still on the bike.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
In any direction. You've either got a keen eye or it's more than 1mm. I'd true mine up but that's me being fussy and I have a wheel trying stand but for that small is do it with the wheel still on the bike.
I suspect it's more than 1 mm, but that's what the bloke in the lbs says. Anways its booked in for truing now, its good to know its okay to ride in the meantime though, thanks.

Top Bottom