question for electrical minded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

ok so iv made a 6 volt lighting system with a 6v motorcycle battery and to keep the battery topped up iv fitted a dynimo. the problem i have is that if i leave the dynimo conected to the battery when im not useing it it discharges the battery over night.
i know there is something like a realy or something that sort of only alows the current to flow in one direction, but for the life of me i just cant remember what it is called.
so anyone out there know ?

also along the same sort of lines i seem to remember many moons ago playing with LED lights and im sure i remember using an LED as this sort of one way voltage regulator thingy and it worked well with the added bonus of having a charge light so i knew when it was charging the battery.
but it was so long ago i cant recall if it was just a LED or if i made some form of regulator cirket.

i hope some one out there can work out what im on about and how i need to do it lol

stuee

midlife

Guru
Rectifier diode springs to mind from o level physics 1976 ?

Shaun

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A diode is why you need, allows current flow in one direction only. You may well get away with just an LED..

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

i was thinking a LED would do it but i wasnt entiely sure i think i might play with some LEDs and see what i can come up with to start with i put an inline fuse that i removed when not in use, and at the moment i have conected a switch to cut off the dynimo but i have forgot to flick the switch a few times

U

User33236

Bear in mind that a diode, in forward bias, will drop around 0.7v across it. What is your dymano putting out?

U

User33236

A dymano creates DC, an alternator creates AC.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
How about fitting a simple in line switch? Vehicles have the ignition switch which cuts the power flow.

Top Bottom