Question for overweight or obese people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

thats a really brilliant idea Mac:biggrin:

I've done something similar in that I have devised 8-10 local loops and plotted them on google maps . I thought i'd use a dice and decide which route I took that way (diceman) but I keep forgetting to do it.

I'm going to try your suggestion . the only problem being its really rural round here and you can easily get utterly lost with 5 miles of your home. Just lots of endless tracks and cattle droves without a house or sign for miles .:biggrin:

Its also pretty dangerous as most roads have room for only a single vehicle , no passing places and have high sided earth banks either side so nowhere to pull off the road when cars come hurtling around the corner ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
single track, high sides, blind bends, that'll keep the excitement levels up. Those tiny roads are the types I'm on about, I just cycle along them, have gotten lost several times, but I'm fairly good at backtracking.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I experienced my second rebirth as a cyclist in order to get fit enough to ref rugby union at a higher faster standard then I have done in the last three seasons. My BMI has gone from Obese to plain old overweight as a result.

Trouble is the bl**dy cycling bug has bit big time and I'm now doubting how committed to reffing I'm going to be next season as 3 games a week may take up too much cycling time!

Lost nearly a stone since the last FNRttC to Brighton - wonder if I will feel it on Ditchling Beacon.

So I plan to loose more weight, get fitter and 'enjoy' the hills a bit more than I have been doing thus far.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Stig OTD hinted at this, but don't just go on your BMI. I think the doctors are now looking at BMI along with other measures like waist/chest ratio. By BMI alone I'm obese, but all my other measures (waist to chest/HR/blood pressure/fitness tests) are good or better than the average 40 year old's.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bollo said:
Stig OTD hinted at this, but don't just go on your BMI. I think the doctors are now looking at BMI along with other measures like waist/chest ratio. By BMI alone I'm obese, but all my other measures (waist to chest/HR/blood pressure/fitness tests) are good or better than the average 40 year old's.

yeah, but you still look like a bloater

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacBludgeon said:
yeah, but you still look like a bloater

Them's fightin' words MacB!

fat_thin.img_assist_custom.jpg

;)

potsy

Rambler
My weight has always been about 200lbs and I have tried various ways to lose some lbs (treadmill,rowing machine etc) then towards end of last year weight rocketed up to 221lbs so another year another idea I'll get a bike(eureka) am now commuting 4-5 days a week 18 miles round trip and have lost over 20lbs:biggrin::biggrin: and Iv'e kept it up for longer than all my other 'fads'.

potsy

Rambler
peanut said:
;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

well done potsy
Cheers Peanut, I know that feeling well of getting on the scales and there's no change from last time:sad:
I now way myself once a fortnight in the morning, that way even if I only lost 1lb it's still a loss:smile: used to obsess a bit and weigh myself every couple of days which is a big mistake.
How tall are you mate?

Jonathan M

Riverman said:
Would you cycle to a similar level if you weren't overweight or obese?

Infact, would you cycle much at all?

I'm near the obese category by the way.

More. Cycling is much more fun when you feel fitter, and inariably this goes hand in hand with weight loss.

I've been off the bike since february and have put on a lot of weight, initially through lack of exercise and for the past month due to some meds that I need to take. I have a feeling that when I get back into things in the next couple of weeks the weight will be harder to shift than at any other time in my life. C'est la vie, unfortunately.

Old Walrus said:
I had my scare in January with the scales tipping 17st 3lb (at 5'11" that was obese) and dire warnings from the G.P about blood pressure and cholesterol.....

I was already commuting on some days by bike (total 18 miles) so extended that to every day and started recording what I was eating, cals, fat, saturated fat on a spreadsheet. This morning the scales said 13st 12lb (12 lbs more to get down to a BMI of 25).

In terms of speed the commute is down from 45 mins to 40 mins

blimey thats brilliant mate, I could look forward to being under 15 by xmas easy !

cheers for that, thats given me even more determination to keep going

peanut

potsy said:
Cheers Peanut, I know that feeling well of getting on the scales and there's no change from last time:sad:
I now way myself once a fortnight in the morning, that way even if I only lost 1lb it's still a loss:smile: used to obsess a bit and weigh myself every couple of days which is a big mistake.
How tall are you mate?

I'm 5.11 used to be 6'0" but lost a disk from my lumbar so i'm a shortarse now :tongue:
I'm not going to lose any more weight now until i either significantly up my mileage or cut out even more food :hyper:

byegad

Legendary Member
My BMI is 31 so I'm clinically obese. Last year I missed 7 weeks riding due to an attack of vertigo lasting 4 weeks and a really bad sinus infection lasting 3 weeks. I managed 4500 miles. This year is on course for a greater mileage as, so far, I have avoided any ill health, although the snow earlier in the year cut down my riding a bit! I did get out for some rides though. Great fun on a recumbent trike!!!

Would I ride further or more often if I could lose the weight? Possibly a little further than now but not by much, say 10%?????

potsy

Rambler
peanut said:
I'm 5.11 used to be 6'0" but lost a disk from my lumbar so i'm a shortarse now :welcome:
I'm not going to lose any more weight now until i either significantly up my mileage or cut out even more food :tongue:
Sounds like it's more cycling then:biggrin:

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I was 15st 10lbs at the end of May, been commuting 3 days a week, 22-mile round trip and now down to 15st 1lb.

I'd just slipped into the obese category (by BMI), but hadn't yet started to get any related health problems - just a worrying inability to get into my 38" trousers.

But the reason I re-started cycling was that I couldn't pick up enthusiasm for work - I was clockwatching by 10am and sleepy by 1pm. I'd heard that exercise might be the antidote (I did none!) so gave it a go - and now the cycling just keeps getting easier (or would if I didn't keep going faster instead) and I'm much more effective at work.

The weight loss is a bonus; I actually fell down to 11stone six years ago after I had bowel cancer (genetic apparently) and chemo - just couldn't face eating. Once I got my appetite back I subconsciously connected putting weight on with regaining my health, but overshot just a tad!

I think I'll keep up with the cycling as I've rediscovered one of the joys of my pre-driving youth, namely cycling for hours on my own and discovering places I didn't know existed.
But it's July, ask me again in January!

I like MacB's idea, my main gripe is that living in Blackpool I can't start a route by cycling west, so with the prevailing westerly I usually end up coming home into a headwind.:tongue:

Top Bottom