Question for overweight or obese people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

thats a fantastic weigh loss well done:biggrin:

I've stalled on my program.:troll:

This morning I felt so depressed what with the weather and not riding etc that I bought and ate an entire Swiss roll :biggrin: xx(xx(:biggrin:
Thats over 1000 calories with a cup of tea.:sad:

I think you could say my diet just went out the window today:biggrin:

Brahan

Über Member
I've just done my BMI - Pretty frightening results to be honest :biggrin:

I'm 5ft 8 and 13st 3 and by BMI is 28. I'm what you would consider to be 'chunky' but I never realised all the potential ailments attached to being over weight. I'm almost clinically obese for f**k sake. When I started riding I lost loads of weight but some has crept back on....hmmm.

I ride 20-30 miles every day and to 2 10 mile club TTs as well as whatever miles I ride out over the weekend so I feel I'm doing more than most but I just don't know what to think of this reading. :sad:

I can understand that it's a 'general rule of thumb' type thing but still, almost OBESE has really taken the wind out of my sails today.

Losidan

Thanks guys
@sittingduck -
Most definitely. However, I dont think I am living on starvation rations to have to accomplish weight loss. It has been a bit of trial and error but what I do now seems to work and I am finding where I am now I dont really feel the urge to go bananas on junk food or sweeties. I tend to find if I go to the shop I go straight to the fruit section instinctively now.

Typical day for me goes like this
Breakfast at work - Cereal with skimmed milk something like oatmeal or currently rice crispies.

lunch at 11 am...1 and a half sandwiches. Brown bread...with lean meat and salad and only one half of the bread buttered (lightly)

lunch time bike ride....40-45 mins ..Alternate between flatter steady ride and harder rolling hilly route.

Two apples when back at my desk.

I also take a tupperware container with sugar free jelly. (one full sachet) I find riding takes most of my appetite but if I do need it the jelly gives something to munch on and it's only 40 calories for the whole tub.

Dinner at home...

evening...30-40 mins on the rower

Go for a walk with er indoors for about 30-40 mins

Get plenty of sleep

That's it for weekdays.

Saturdays I get up early and either do a 90 min steady ride or a ten mile "TT" on the mtb on an xc course I have. Then a 30-40 min steady on the rower late afternoon.

I usually have a ruby saturday night and just eat sensible on sundays. I dont ride or row on a sunday but go for a walk with the mrs.

I have built up to this over a period of time but this is where I am at currently. I find cycling a pleasure now and I hear people moaning about having to go to the gym...I go riding as I WANT to now...I love it

Any ideas for improvements would be welcomed....

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds like quite a punishing regeime Losidan but I suppose it's that old "No pain, no gain" thing. I have no problem with riding and have been doing so 6 days if not 7 a week. I have also reduced beer intake over the past 3 months (last 2 weekends are an exception) but I eat the wrong stuff and probably too much of it. Will have to have a serious re-think!

jimboalee

Compare with my typical daily diet.

No breakfast.

14 miles commute.

Brunch at work – three fried eggs, two slices of Black pudding and one sausage.

Lunch – Cup a Soup.

14 miles commute.

Supper – 4 quarter pounder beefburgers with bar-b-q sauce, or half a pack (500g ) of IKEA meatballs with mayonnaise.

Afters – 250g assorted cheeses.

On Fridays, I treat myself to two 8oz Sirloin steaks – Two for a Tenner . I tell the waiter to put them on the same plate with a big salad, NO chips.

Losidan

jimboalee said:
Compare with my typical daily diet.

No breakfast.

14 miles commute.

Brunch at work – three fried eggs, two slices of Black pudding and one sausage.

Lunch – Cup a Soup.

14 miles commute.

Supper – 4 quarter pounder beefburgers with bar-b-q sauce, or half a pack (500g ) of IKEA meatballs with mayonnaise.

Afters – 250g assorted cheeses.

On Fridays, I treat myself to two 8oz Sirloin steaks – Two for a Tenner . I tell the waiter to put them on the same plate with a big salad, NO chips.

food of champions...i like it already

stevepn

Well just got my 1st road bike since i was about 14, now 44 :smile:.
Now to try and loose the weight. I'm 5'9" and 17st 3lb. I am not over weight just short for my size, should be 8' 5" :smile:

Steve

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Riverman said:
Would you cycle to a similar level if you weren't overweight or obese?

Infact, would you cycle much at all?

I'm near the obese category by the way.

Yes the more I cycle, The more I want to cycle, I wouldnt be all too upset if I lost no more weigh, I would however be devastated not to be able to ride again.

RedBike

The more I cycle the more I seem to put on weight. - It's the cafe stops fault!

I've just started running again, which will hopefull help me loose a few lbs. I need to loose 25kg to get to my ideal weight, which is just never going to happen.

Top Bottom