Question for the ladies re: cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

Please read the attached article ( men you also need to read this to understand the issues!). http://www.cyclinguk.org/saddlepain
Once you have read this then take some action. Good shorts and a saddle that fits are essential. I rode hundreds of miles with pain thinkinmg it was just part of the game. It need not be. I now invest in Rapha shorts (because they fit me well and are very comfortable but are not cheap and a Sellie Italia Lady Gel Flow saddle (I have these on all 3 bikes)

Snizzlepops

@lpretro1 Thanks for this article - I think it is one I have come aross before.:okay:

I changed my saddle about last summer as I was experiencing discomfort 'down there'. However, last week during a bike fitting, the saddle moved another inch up! During my 30mile cycle on Sunday, I was fine, but cycling 5 miles to/from work, I am starting to feel it! Another saddle adjustment and maybe a second pair of my favourite padded shorts!

ClaireSaud

Veteran
I had numbness after 10 miles so I experimented with the saddle tilt. I just couldn't get comfy so I had a saddle fit at my local bike shop and they recommended me to use one with a cut-out. No more numbness which is great! I use a Selle Italia Lady Flow but everyone is different. Might be worth checking if your local bike shop do a saddle fit.

Katherine

Guru
  • Definitely go commando in your padded shorts, it's how they're designed to be worn. I resisted the idea for a long time, using big pants but that's only really ok for 10 miles. One day, I tried it and it's a revelation, especially on longer rides.
  • I have a Selle Royale saddle and it is the right shape for me but it's true that everyone has a different shape.
  • I sat on lots of saddles in shops. The way to do it is to put the saddle on some stairs or steps and squat on it and lean as if you are on your bike. In one shop I used one of those stools on wheels that the staff use to reach high shelves.
  • Pilates - to strengthen your core so that you don't sit so heavily in the saddle.
  • Get up out of the saddle from time to time to relieve the pressure.
Good luck with finding the right set up for you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is your saddle one of those ghastly over-padded jobs with gel? Saddles like this feel comfortable at first but I believe that if the sit bones of the pelvis sink into the padding the weight gets transferred to soft tissue. Over-padded shorts will have a similar effect.

Tipping the saddle forwards will throw more weight onto your hands. There's no substitute for the right shape of saddle and a dense but thinnish pad worn next to the skin. Look at the Charge Ladle; Charge make comfortable saddles.

Julia9054

Guru
Is your saddle one of those ghastly over-padded jobs with gel? Saddles like this feel comfortable at first but I believe that if the sit bones of the pelvis sink into the padding the weight gets transferred to soft tissue. Over-padded shorts will have a similar effect.

Tipping the saddle forwards will throw more weight onto your hands. There's no substitute for the right shape of saddle and a dense but thinnish pad worn next to the skin. Look at the Charge Ladle; Charge make comfortable saddles.
Depends on the person. Not tried the ladle but the Charge spoon was the most uncomfortable saddle i have ever sat on!

yerteasoot

It will be the saddle, as when I go spin classes I find it really uncomfortable, yet when I'm on my bike I have no such problems. If your looking for good cycling shorts I use Altura ladies progel ones. I have 3 pairs of these and they are very comfortable and an extremely good fit. I don't wear bib shorts as they annoy me, the normal shorts never slide down and always stay in place(thankfully)

Tipping the saddle forwards will throw more weight onto your hands. There's no substitute for the right shape of saddle
Changing the won't make the wrong right, but it will the right saddle wrong. It's impossible to be sure from the brief description if the saddle is wrong or it's just at the wrong angle. And that's such a simple and free thing to try, it's an obvious place to start.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It will be the saddle, as when I go spin classes I find it really uncomfortable, yet when I'm on my bike I have no such problems. If your looking for good cycling shorts I use Altura ladies progel ones. I have 3 pairs of these and they are very comfortable and an extremely good fit. I don't wear bib shorts as they annoy me, the normal shorts never slide down and always stay in place(thankfully)

Spin bike saddles are an abomination and have probably put more people off cycling than anything else. I would go as far as to say that spin bikes are actually likely to injure you, so bad is the riding position.

I would say it's more the saddle than the shorts or underwear. On one bike I was struggling until I bought a Selle SMP saddle
upload_2017-4-4_8-42-47.png

which I love.

Top Bottom