Question for the ladies re: cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[Mod Edit: Reference to Deleted post Deleted]

I'd second posts from a few others that the issue is very likely not the shorts as such but something to do with the saddle/positioning.

No harm in consulting cyclists of whatever gender on the issue as in truth the issues with regard to cycling comfort aren't that different.

If you find the right saddle/position OP there is no good reason why, for short to moderate rides, you shouldn't be able to ride without padded shorts.

Se if a friendly shop can lend you saddles from a "saddle library" or whatever they are called or ask to borrow some from friendly female riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's just a matter of toughening up!

If it is just slight discomfort maybe. Don't try to ride through pain though. Not a good idea at all. That may end up needing medical intervention.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The fact is, every woman is different. What suits one, will be agony for another female. Get a proper saddle fit to start with. Then go to a cycle shop that will allow you to try different saddles for a while until you find the one that suits you. I am sure someone can point you to the cycling shops that allow you to try before you buy.

And what you wear for cycling is also a very personal thing as well. Some like padding, some dont. If the problem isnt your bottom, try a cut out saddle. Also maybe get a bike fit as well.

Tiny small tweaks of the saddle up or down, forward or backward can also make a huge difference, and of course the more you cycle, the more your nether regions will be able to go longer distances in the saddle.

Getting the right saddle, and cycling wear can take time, and a bit of money before you find the right combination. It can be an expensive, painful and frustrating experience, but once you get it right you will be amazed how enjoyable cycling will become ( and addictive). Good luck to you, and i hope you find the right combination for you.

Agreed... And it only takes one tiny variable to make a whole loads of difference. Yesterday I rode in mitts for the first time since October. Said mitts were bought for a previous bike as an attempt to solve the numb hands problem and have heavily padded palms

Wearing them must have changed my position only fractionally, but goodness did my bum hurt by the time I finished a 16 mile ride. And my hands also hurt to add insult to injury. Mitts are going in the bin and will be looking for an unpadded pair.

Globalti

Legendary Member
+1 to this. I've actually never owned a pair of thick shorts, as I hate the way they feel like you are wearing a nappy, and that it is full <shudder>. My goto shorts from DBH were the Aeron Race, but they don't make them any more. The good thing is, the thin padding equates to cheaper shorts!

At the risk of being scolded for straying from the subject.... I share your belief that a thinner, more dense pad is better than a thick spongey pad, for men or women. My favourite shorts are also by dhb, a pair of 3/4 bibs that have an old, thin, dense pad. With a thick spongey pad my bottom gets hot and sweaty, the sit bones sink in and the quite coarse textile covering the sponge irritates the sensitive bits, especially if the pad gets wet in rain.

lpretro1

At the risk of being scolded for straying from the subject.... I share your belief that a thinner, more dense pad is better than a thick spongey pad, for men or women. My favourite shorts are also by dhb, a pair of 3/4 bibs that have an old, thin, dense pad. With a thick spongey pad my bottom gets hot and sweaty, the sit bones sink in and the quite coarse textile covering the sponge irritates the sensitive bits, especially if the pad gets wet in rain.
Yes, a saddle should be supportive (without being like a board) and not spongey - for ladies though it isn't a sore bottom that is the big problem is is the more delicate parts so it can be different saddle choices to what men might make. The worst thing anyone can do is to put one of those awful gel covers on top of a saddle as it just slide around all over the place and puts added pressure on the parts concerned.

Kernow Cyclista

I replaced my saddle with a Selle Italia lady gel flow which is very comfy but it took me longer to sort out my shorts to suit my ladygarden. I have found those thick ridged almost sculpted pads really dig at my soft bits. My cheap altura shorts have a thin pad and are fine for up to 15 miles but I needed something for longer distances. I found a pair of shorts from Morvelo with a flatter soft thinnish pad and they promised that if they weren't the most comfy shorts I'd worn, they would refund me even after some weeks wear. Can't say fairer than that, so I ordered them and they are my favourite shorts. With a similar pad are my castelli tights, also very comfy, so I know to look out for that type of pad. Annoyingly many manufacturers don't show pics of their pads, but at least I have two brand options.

Top Bottom