Question for the ladies re: cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mum22boys

Hi, new to cycling and have some cycling shorts with a chamois, however, whilst my bottom is fine, I'm finding my hoo ha a bit uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend some good shorts. I'd ask my local cycle shop but they're all men!!!

OP
OP
Mum22boys

Mum22boys

Thank you I did wonder if my saddle was to blame, I'll look into it

vickster

Legendary Member
Are your current shorts women's ones? If not, you need those due to the pad shape and padding being in a more anatomically correct place for women

Gore or Sportful shorts for me for longer rides, Pearl Izumi for shorter rides. I buy on special and being on the larger size, can get some good deals (I tend to pay £40-50 for shorts with an RRP of £70-90)

These are really good (for me), at a good price if they have your size

https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-wear-power-3-0-lady-tights-short-EV203574 (Those sizes are probably 14 and 16)

Or if you are very petite, 3/4 version https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-wear-power-3-0-lady-tights-3-4-EV203572

Evans are good if you have a local store, order in click and collect, try on, return immediately if no good

Sigma sport have good deals too on higher end kit, and free returns

DHB kit doesn't fit me

As above, confirm your saddle is the right shape for you and check that it's level, also that you are not putting too much weight on your nether regions because the bike isn't set up right, e.g. Reach not right

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mum22boys

Mum22boys

Thanks for all the advice, I have 2 local bike shops close to me, so I'll definitely check my position is correct, if it still persists I'll look into new shorts, I'm sure it's just a matter of toughening up!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My wife uses this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dc|pcrid|161846600599|pkw||pmt||prd|101335UK
But you do need a saddle that suits you.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @Mum22boys and welcome to CC!
I don't use padded shorts because I don't like the feeling, even though from time to time I buy a pair of a different brand on sale ... then still don't like them ^_^
Anyhow, I think a comfy saddle set at the angle that suits you (experiment) is the key.
Also, in my experience, if your shape changes the saddle that was comfortable becomes an irritant: I was very happy with the one that came with the first bike I bought, a big cushioned thing, then I lost a stone, changed to a much narrower saddle.
As said above, bike fit influences the way you sit on the bike.
If you change the tilt or the saddle itself, give it about 10 miles before changing again, to get used to the new set up.
It's trial and error, though if you feel your current saddle digging into your nether regions I would say the saddle is either tilted up a smidge too much or it is the wrong shape for you.
Good luck!

Hi, new to cycling and have some cycling shorts with a chamois, however, whilst my bottom is fine, I'm finding my hoo ha a bit uncomfortable. Can anyone recommend some good shorts. I'd ask my local cycle shop but they're all men!!!
Welcome.

You shouldn't have pressure on your vulva from the saddle. If that's what's happening, you need to fix that. As said above, saddle or saddle angle/position are the first thing to look at. I know when I first fitted my brooks saddle I had the nose pointing too high and it was agony. Tipping it down meant I can literally be on the bike all day - 20 hours - without problems.

Padded shorts could possibly make things worse. If you didn't contact the nose of the saddle or only lightly without padding, the padding could actually be increasing the pressure on that area. An overly padded saddle can lead to the same issues.

But when you have eliminated all the other potential problems, I also recommend DHB shorts.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know a few women who have suffered from the same problem. They sorted it out by finding saddles which suited them, and/or experimenting with saddle angle. Oh, and shorts that suited them too. One splashed the cash and went for ASSOS. Another was happy with much cheaper DHB.

Incidentally, a lot of men have similar issues. I have to tilt my saddles very slightly down at the front or I can end up numb within 10 kms or so. With the saddles tilted I have done quite a few rides > 200 km and not had major discomfort.

Just to add that everyone's derriere is different - what works for me won't necessarily work for you.

You didn't say what saddle you were using, but I had a similar problem with painful / numb lady bits, partly down to a saddle that was too narrow and the wrong shape for my bottom. Sorted my issue by switching to a ladies' specific saddle (Charge Ladle) that has a cut-out in the saddle frame to relieve pressure. It's an inexpensive saddle if you shop around - got mine for £17 inc postage. Worth a punt before trying some of the more expensive options - Charge seems to be a popular brand on here and their saddles seem to fit a lot of people's bums.

When it comes to padding in shorts / tights, I feel more comfortable with less padding or none at all. I have a pair of shorts that are perhaps too well padded (Aldi Team GB ones) and they become uncomfortable for anything beyond 8 to 10 miles. Decathlon do some nice stuff if you're on a limited budget.

When it comes to padding in shorts / tights, I feel more comfortable with less padding or none at all.
+1 to this. I've actually never owned a pair of thick shorts, as I hate the way they feel like you are wearing a nappy, and that it is full <shudder>. My goto shorts from DBH were the Aeron Race, but they don't make them any more. The good thing is, the thin padding equates to cheaper shorts!

+1 to this. I've actually never owned a pair of thick shorts, as I hate the way they feel like you are wearing a nappy, and that it is full <shudder>. My goto shorts from DBH were the Aeron Race, but they don't make them any more. The good thing is, the thin padding equates to cheaper shorts!

Yeah, that's a reasonable rule of thumb. And if you take care of your kit...

Another thing the OP didn't mention was whether she was riding with underwear or whether she was going commando. I've tried riding commando, but it doesn't do it for me, just feels too weird. Prefer to wear a pair of "big pants" aka M&S midis. Pants don't always agree with padding I'm finding, hence preferring undies with a thinner short pad or none at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom