Question for Wirral/Chester cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone ridden the Guilden Sutton extension of the Millenium Cycleway and if so what is the surface like, suitable for a road bike with 25mm tyres?

Also, I've never cycled into Chester on that cycleway, does it get a bit vague in Chester or is it easy and not too devious, to find your way through?

Just looking to make a nice round ride to Delamere without looping back on myself which is what I usually do.

madferret

Über Member
Interested in this myself :smile:

I call all of this the 'Greenway' and is tarmac end to end, newest bit at Mickle/Guilden end is in very good nick and not as busy as Welsh end - 'share with care' is the motto as they've had some trouble with mixed users.

PaulBrdmn

If this is the Greenway from Mickle Trafford to Hawarden Bridge then it definitely is suitable for road bikes. I even saw someone on a TT bike doing 20mph+ down there! How about that for sharing with care?!

PaulBrdmn

Can I also save posting a new thread and ask about the best route for getting from the Wirral towards Runcorn? I fancy going through the tunnel one Sunday and riding south before heading back to Liverpool via Widnes.

madferret

Über Member
Try google maps, cycle as transport then put in your start and end point, it seems to only direct as if on a road bike, so uses NCN where possible, yet avoids main roads, found it really good so far. Hope this helps. You can also "drag" the route to your choosing if there are particular waypoints you want to add.

Can I also save posting a new thread and ask about the best route for getting from the Wirral towards Runcorn? I fancy going through the tunnel one Sunday and riding south before heading back to Liverpool via Widnes.

This assumes you are coming to Wirral to start.
From tunnel turn left and ride up river following Wirral Circular Trail signs this has some odd routing to avoid 'nasty' roads (council defined nasty) that other than one ludicrous road crossing (Campbell town rd/new ferry bypass) isn't so bad and easy to follow, after Eastham Country Park you climb a hill and hang a left to beyond Vauxhalls, dive under M53 and head to boat museum at Ellesmere Port, through Stanlow on oil sites rd, right at end roundabout, straight over big dual carriageway, left once over M56, and head towards Manley Mere but in Dunham on the Hill turn Left, and head towards Frodsham and over Weaver and uphill t'other side and then I'm a bit lost for directions but jump on canal and your there I could plot on BRT if you want. Can't do it now as BRT doesn't do mobile nicely!

Route can be done off road in places and will be much shorter but really rough, or all on tarmac on fast(traffic) or on slower roads, or somewhere in between.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I call all of this the 'Greenway' and is tarmac end to end, newest bit at Mickle/Guilden end is in very good nick and not as busy as Welsh end - 'share with care' is the motto as they've had some trouble with mixed users.
If this is the Greenway from Mickle Trafford to Hawarden Bridge then it definitely is suitable for road bikes. I even saw someone on a TT bike doing 20mph+ down there! How about that for sharing with care?!

Cheers Neil and Paul, I suspected as much but it's good to know.

Don't worry Neil I was planning on keeping to 25 and have practised my weaving and dog hoping skills!

Don't worry Neil I was planning on keeping to 25 and have practised my weaving and dog hoping skills!

25Kph is a bit quick, as I think CTC Chester say 15 or thereabouts :-)
I hope your foreigner hopping skills are just as good as your dog skills as its way more dangerous meeting foreigners than dog walkers! You can never be quite sure which way they'll scatter when walking, never mind which way they steer when riding...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

25Kph is a bit quick, as I think CTC Chester say 15 or thereabouts :-)
I hope your foreigner hopping skills are just as good as your dog skills as its way more dangerous meeting foreigners than dog walkers! You can never be quite sure which way they'll scatter when walking, never mind which way they steer when riding...
mph and I was joking

PaulBrdmn

Thanks Neil, that sounds perfect! You were right to assume; I live in Liverpool city centre so would go straight through the tunnel and follow your directions to Runcorn and then I can get back from there. It'd be done on a Sunday morning so traffic would hopefully be quiet on the "bad" roads.

matthat

Über Member
I'm on tapa on phone so not sure how to copy stuff etc but if you checkout the my ride today about 2 weds ago I did that ride on strava going via two mills!! I'll re post it on here when next on laptop if I think about it!

Top Bottom