Question for Wirral/Chester cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Neil, that sounds perfect! You were right to assume; I live in Liverpool city centre so would go straight through the tunnel and follow your directions to Runcorn and then I can get back from there. It'd be done on a Sunday morning so traffic would hopefully be quiet on the "bad" roads.

Ive done 2 BRT routes, one scenic but a bit of a slow route for sightseeing, and one faster but less scenic.

Route 1 the scenic one needs care at a mile in, at second big roundabout, use the roundabout properly and be in expected 'traffic' position would be my choice, but the council sign it so you appear from behind a hedge as traffic accelerates to the D/C - go figure!. At 2.75 miles I leave posted route to avoid a grassy field/rough quarry and sunday football (field) but this shortcut then puts you on a footpath so take care. Bromborough area shortly after detour is a history loop (passes Levers workers estate to your right, and goes right into Prices candles estate ) it then uses Eastham Country Park to simply get to Vauxhalls/Stanlow. Runcorn/Widnes bridge is on pavement and a bit hard to follow - crossing is as noisy as hell and freaks some people out - even on a Sunday. From bridge to Hale, then Speke is fine on a Sunday, through airport bus lanes is nice, over to cemetery from airport is less good...
I've stopped route somewhere around HMRC building at Kings Dock as route is then unbearable on just about anything due to the the Albert Dock cobbles (full sus 29" on 2" tyres is OK ;-) ).
Other than Albert Dock the whole route is fine on 28mm tyres, on 25 mm tyres it's bearable except perhaps bits of the canal to runcorn, riding 23mm will suffer a bit more on the rough bit on back way out of Frodsham and just dreadful on the canal!!.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=570297

Route 2 much faster on road but still uses Vauxhalls/Stanlow for interest, has some faster roads I'd rather avoid even on a Sunday (after shell stanlow onto A5117 over M56 is unpleasant) and I've ended it at around Halton to allow oppurtunity to pick up Expressway cycle path to avoid canal - perhaps even taking a left at the earlier swing bridge into back of Runcorn? Combine bits of both and you have a winner!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=570300

Take care out of the tunnel, you exit sharp left to the free exit booth, then the fast route effectively U-turns back onto main road DON'T do that just simply turn right into side road from the exit traffic lights (if allowed) then join carriageway from there - I doubt a U-turn is actually legal, certainly not sensible, the same right turn is needed to pick up scenic route.

PaulBrdmn

Thank you for that, it is appreciated! I'm originally from Widnes and still work there so I know how bad the bridge is but it's a necessity if I want to avoid heading to Warrington. Once I get to Runcorn I'll probably take the left at the swing bridge and head to the cycle path you mentioned taking me into Higher Runcorn and head down Moughland Lane/Greenway Road to pick up the bridge in the Old Town.

As you also say, the stretch through Speke and Garston (or Hunts Cross) is not the most scenic of routes either but I can handle that, just need a sunny Sunday off work now!

Top Bottom