Question on behalf of one of my teachers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

My teacher asked me if it was possible to convert his bike to drops.
He has a Flat Bar Cannondale Synapse.
To save you googling, it has road components (Tiagra) and has quite decent spec (carbon forks, decent wheels).

I told him since he already has road components, all he really needs to buy is the bars, sora STI levers(he has an 8 speed cassette), some bar tape and possibly new cables. I also told him drops might not work since the geometry is designed to be a bit more upright.

Is that sound advice, or have I missed anything?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
new sora is 9 speed, but other than that sounds fair enough. if possible, try to find a spare pair of drops and put them onto the frame to see if they are too high; you can always replace the stem to drop them a bit.

GrasB

Veteran
Sounds about right, If he can't get hold of 8spd shifters he could just get a 9spd cassette & chain.

The problem is that often flat bar bikes have frames that are far to long for drops so require a silly short stem which causes the bike to have handling issues.

PpPete

Legendary Member
There is a Tiagra rear mech that's specific to flat bar. If the bike has this it might need changing. Changing cassette to a 9 speed to match new Sora shifters - will need a 9 speed chain too. It all adds up. If doing job yourself having collected all the necessary & mutually compatible components at "special offer" prices then sure, go ahead. Getting the LBS to do it renders the whole project uneconomic. Far better to buy new drop bar bike and sell the Synapse as is.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
porkypete said:
Getting the LBS to do it renders the whole project uneconomic. Far better to buy new drop bar bike and sell the Synapse as is.

+1 Could not agree more

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Given the exorbitant price (£160 per pair at CRC) of the Sora 8 speed sti at the moment, an alternative happens to exist for his set up - he can use Campag 10 speed levers on Shimano 8 speed road rear mech and 8 speed cassette because of this. Xenon 10 speed Ergos and up are from £50 at e.g. Ribble.

Top Bottom