Questions for a Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rachel lambert

Hi everyone!
I am a student at Loughborough University studying Industrial Design and Technology.
I am currently in the process of designing my final year product based on improving the communication between motorists and cyclists in built up areas, especially those who commute to work.

I was wondering if you were able to help me with the design process by answering a few questions I have?

1. How would you characterise your bicycling identity?
- Keen cyclist,
you take cycling more seriously than others.
- Practicality,
you cycle to get from one point to another.
- Leisurely,
an occasional bike ride out.
- None,
rarely/ never cycle.

2. In an average week, how often do you cycle?
- Less than one
- 1-5
-5-10
-Other (please state)

3. When cycling, how frequently do you signal to other motorists?
- Always
- Occasionally
- Rarely
- Never

4. When do you think a signal is most appropriate?
- Daytime/ Daylight
-4Night time/ Darkness
- Poor weather conditions-
rain, wet, snow, ice
- Cold
- Other (Please specify)

5. How do you typically signal/ indicate to other motorists to motorists and other road users that you intend to turn or move?
- Hand gestures
- Verbally
- Mixture of both
-I do not signal
- Other (Please specify)

6. During which circumstances on the road do you perceive a signal to be most necessary?
- When the bike is moving
- From a stopped position
- Both of the above

7. If a product was to be developed to improve the communication between motorists and cyclist, what facilities would you want it to include? (you can select one or more)
- Lighting to improve visibility and awareness
- Speed and Braking awareness
- Sound
- Indicating factor
- Other (please specify)

8. Where would you install such a product?
- On the body
- Attach to the bicycle
- No preference
- Other (please specify)

9. Why have you chosen that option? Please provide a brief statement

Again, if a product was developed to improve communication what qualities of the product would be most important?
- Easy to use/ operate 1 2 3 4
- Easy to install or wear 1 2 3 4
- Effectiveness at performing its function 1 2 3 4
- Aesthetics, how it looks. 1 2 3 4
- Cost 1 2 3 4
- Other (Please specify)

11. Where do you think is the most important position on the bike/ yourself for a product to be placed that allows you to be seen by others?
- Front
- Rear
- Side
- Other (Please specify)

12. Where do you think is the most important area for a product to go that allows you to see?- Front
- Rear
- Side
- Other (please specify)

Any answers/ comments will be very much appreciated and will help me further my understanding of bicycle users on the road, and how they interact and communicate with motorists!

Thank you,
Rachel

Rachel,

Do not take this the wrong way as it is meant to be supportive and help you with your project

You may find this better if you used a proprietary survey software such as Survey Monkey

Quicker for respondents to answer (and therefore more likely to do so)

Secondly it would save you the arduous job of transcribing the data
As a validated research tool, Survey Monkey would look better in the references and write up
Finally there is inbuilt processing, graphs, and results from the responses which will again make things easier for you

Sara_H

Guru
Have done. I answered Q4. 4. When cycling, how frequently do you signal to other motorists? I answered occasionally, but my real answer had I had the option would have been - Whenever necessary

Q5. 5. When do you think a signal is most appropriate? Don't understand question, I signal to make clear my intentions, when turning etc regardless of weather/light
conditions.

Ern1e

Über Member
Done.

Top Bottom