Questions you'd like answering, regardless of how trivial they may seem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Ãœber Member
It was ok. A bit salty though. I'm not a salt fan so i don't add salt to things. It can't have come from the meat as it wasn't processed meat. Maybe the salt was in the cheese,or the veggie stock cube i added?🤔

Cheese is pretty salty and your stock cube will likely have quite a bit of salt (along with MSG and ribonucleotides).

Tenkaykev

Guru
I always add spices to my omelettes. I open the door and whatever jumps out gets chucked in ie italian, some Hendos relish, whatever shouts loudest.
Hendo's ! Good call, I add it to the pan when heating up baked beans, I need to be a bit more adventurous!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
How does a bird know how to build its nest, without being shown by another bird?
Hard-wired, I guess. Kind of like walking vs talking. If a human was brought up by animals, it would automatically start walking, even if looked after by quadrapeds. However it wouldn't suddenly start rabbiting away in any language unless it had been taught.

Humans are incredible learners, which makes us very adaptable and puts us at the top of the food chain and resident in almost any part of the world. Hard-wiring makes an animal appear to be much more capable, but not adaptable. In the absence of twigs and moss, I guess most birds wouldn't be able to bring up youngsters.

T4tomo

Guru
Yes and not only salty,but lots of fat floats to the top when i add boiling water to break the cube down. Though doesn't Worcester sauce have a lot of added salt as well? 🤔
yes but a stock cube will do enough for a family of 4 and a dabs of worcester sauce will be far less salt content.

there isnt much fat in a stock cube, potentially a bit of palm oil. are you sure you didn't confuse it with axle grease?

Craig the cyclist

Ãœber Member

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

I won't click the 'south american river' link as i shall we say dislike them immensely,but why would you line a ceramic dish that resists most stuff sticking to it and the bits that do release themselves after about 10 minutes of hot soapy water soaking?🤔

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
yes but a stock cube will do enough for a family of 4 and a dabs of worcester sauce will be far less salt content.

there isnt much fat in a stock cube, potentially a bit of palm oil. are you sure you didn't confuse it with axle grease?
Just looked at my stock cube box/packet and yes you're right,the fat content is almost zilch. Yet when i pour a pint of boiling water on one,little fat globules appear on the surface.🤔 Maybe they aren't fat. I'm tempted to try it now and post a pic' of it on here. Then again,maybe wait till the next time,as being a tight wad i don't want to waste a stock cube.:rolleyes:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I would have thought it will take only a small proportion of fat to show as globules on the surface. Just think of a drop of petrol on the surface of water. Also any meat stock which has been dehydrated to form part of the cube, is likely to contain fat.

T4tomo

Guru
I won't click the 'south american river' link as i shall we say dislike them immensely,but why would you line a ceramic dish that resists most stuff sticking to it and the bits that do release themselves after about 10 minutes of hot soapy water soaking?🤔
I completely agree, stuff doesn't stick to a slow cooker anyway, because its cooked er..slowly.:whistle:

Top Bottom