Quick Link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies if this has previously been asked / discussed but what is the general concencous regarding re-using a quick link. At the end of each summer (like now) I always strip and thoroughly clean my best bike including taking the chain off for ease of clean of chain and bike.

However I was reading somewhere that quick links should not be reused. Is this just a marketing ploy or is there some merit to the argument.

Bike is running 11 speed Ultegra.

the snail

Guru
Some of them are single-use, some 3 times or something like that.

Apologies if this has previously been asked / discussed but what is the general concencous regarding re-using a quick link. At the end of each summer (like now) I always strip and thoroughly clean my best bike including taking the chain off for ease of clean of chain and bike.

However I was reading somewhere that quick links should not be reused. Is this just a marketing ploy or is there some merit to the argument.

Bike is running 11 speed Ultegra.
The manufacturers of some quick links, say not to reuse them. However I often reuse quick links, and as long as they still engage properly, I’ve never had any issues. The manufacturers are covering their arses from a elf n safety perspective.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
New chain : new quicklink

The pins in the quicklink wear just the same as all the other pins in a chain.
I tie the 2 parts of the old quicklink together with a bit of string or small cable tie, and drop them in the toolkit or saddlebag side pocket for use in case I or someone else suffers a broken chain out on the road.

Im happy to reuse them on their original chain, but new chain gets a new link.
Quite right.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SRAM 9 speed Powerlinks can be reused a few times and fit any 9 speed chain I've tried (SRAM, Connex, Shimano). The 10 speed ones are hard to engage, much more fussy about chains and not reusable.

SRAM 9 speed Powerlinks can be reused a few times and fit any 9 speed chain I've tried (SRAM, Connex, Shimano). The 10 speed ones are hard to engage, much more fussy about chains and not reusable.
yes, another reason to not go 10 speed for general cycling.
Non replaceable links would really screw my chain cleaning regime.
Thanks to the Evans mech who introduced me to SRAM chains and allowed me to leave behind the horror of Shimano's pins.

Top Bottom