Quick links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi all brought the daughter a new bike last week and looking to fit quick link on chain. And keep one spare in case of snapped chain etc. Only issue is got 3 cogs at front and 6 at back.
What speed link do I need? Am a bit confused as my bike is 9 speed and seems to be the lowest I can find.
Many thanks,
John

6, 7 and 8-speed chains are all the same but I suspect the links will be marketed as 8-speed links just to make them sound faster.

OP
OP
J

John342

Thanks for the warning. It's a kmc chain on the bike. Does that mean I need a kmc link or can I get a shimanno one?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
KMC 8-speed links come in two different sizes, 7.1mm and 7.3mm (as I found out the hard way).
The correct one will say suitable for 6/7/8 speed, correct? It works for 5 too.
When and where did you buy the wrong one Dave?
I got half a dozen last year, not used then yet, must check the package in case I did the same!

KMC 8-speed links come in two different sizes, 7.1mm and 7.3mm (as I found out the hard way).
Cripes. What in the name of **** possessed them to do that?

Kmc chains have a good reputation I think but as i have been simplifying my cycling for the past few years that's a good enough reason for me to avoid them in future.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
When and where did you buy the wrong one Dave?

From my LBS a couple of years ago. I had just asked them for an 8-speed quicklink and that's what they gave me. When I downloaded KMC's catalogue I realised that the 7.1mm is for a Shimano IG chain whereas the 7.3 is for an HG. It took me ages fiddling before I realised it was never going to fit. :ohmy:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
don't currently have any Shimano chains, but thanks for the tip about the 2 different size KMC quick links. I have used KMC links on SRAM chains, and vice versa with no problems. Now you've got me wondering if SRAM also makes a quick link for Shimano chains.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Noting this American thread resurrection (3 months lapse):
brought the daughter a new bike last week and looking to fit quick link on chain. And keep one spare in case of snapped chain
Hope you don't mind me suggesting that the chances of your daughter's 6 speed chain breaking is minimal. In the most unlikely event that it does, she would need a chain tool with her, as well as the quick link you seek, and the ability to use it and fit the 'quicklink' on. This would need prior education and practice (whatever age she is).

Top Bottom