Quick Links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
A good tip, which I recall from the bad old days before I discovered quicklinks: if you plan to push the pin back in, don't push it all the way out when you're splitting the chain - only as far as you need to wiggle out the inner plates. With the pin still left attached to the outer plate, it's a whole lot easier to push it back in with the chain tool.
Yep. That is what I forgot to do when I had a chain break on me while out on the road a few months ago.

Took 20 minutes trying (and cursing) before I finally gave up and took out another link, being careful NOT to push the pin al the way out.

But that made the chain short enough that I couldn't use the bottom two gears for the rest of the ride. Replaced the chain next day of course.

The multi tool I carry has a chain breaker, but that was the first time I've actually needed it out on the road.

OP
OP
nuteck

nuteck

Yep. That is what I forgot to do when I had a chain break on me while out on the road a few months ago.

Took 20 minutes trying (and cursing) before I finally gave up and took out another link, being careful NOT to push the pin al the way out.

But that made the chain short enough that I couldn't use the bottom two gears for the rest of the ride. Replaced the chain next day of course.

The multi tool I carry has a chain breaker, but that was the first time I've actually needed it out on the road.
After deciding to get new chain i have carefully counted links to old one and taken out the extras. In order to fit quick link i am 1 link longer than old chain.
If i reduce further to get to an inner link i will be 2 links shorter.
Which is my best option for my 7 speed chain?

Alex321

Veteran
After deciding to get new chain i have carefully counted links to old one and taken out the extras. In order to fit quick link i am 1 link longer than old chain.
If i reduce further to get to an inner link i will be 2 links shorter.
Which is my best option for my 7 speed chain?
Go with 1 link longer IMO.

You can always shorten it later if it is so slack it keeps bouncing off, harder to lengthen it if it is too short to get into the bottom gear.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Go with 1 link longer IMO.

You can always shorten it later if it is so slack it keeps bouncing off, harder to lengthen it if it is too short to get into the bottom gear.
agree, you are only 1 link longer as you have lost 2 outer plates from the original chain and disregarded them in your measurement.

BEFORE you ride it, check it do big big with out snapping and check small small doesn't cause the chain to rub against itself.

and make sure you route it correctly around the rear derailleur pulleys and guides.

Ajax Bay

Guru
One link is one inch long. The quick link is half an inch long. A chain must be an integral number of inches long. If the OP's original chain was x inches long then, before using the quick link the chain (both ends inners, not outer plates) needs to be (x -1/2) inches long if they want the chain to be the same length.
HTH

Top Bottom