Quick Links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It may be shorter than you need, of course, if you’ve removed much chain.
You could try to remove the 4 outer plates shown on your image, and replace with a quick link, as you’ll have the correct ‘ends’ ready to connect.
This would mean that you have replaced half a link more than you would need (I think!)

Reactions: C R

Sharky

Guru
I see but if i remove another link chain would be to short! Have i lost the plot?
Regrettably, yes.

To rejoin the chain, you will have to remove the outer links from each end, then use a quick link to rejoin it.

Do you have any spare links from when you installed the chain in the first place? Even if you kept the rivets you would find it almost impossible to push through the open links on your chain. When splitting chains with a chain splitter tool, you need to push the rivet out, but only as far as you need to separate the links. An LBS would probably give you a couple of links.

But try and rejoin the chain. You might find that there is enough tolerance for everything to work OK. If anything, just don't use the big sprocket until you get a new chain.

Good luck

3041A8FD-A707-4950-A74F-FF1794963649.jpeg

This is 1 link (actually, I show 2 single links, a top and a side view).
It contains inner and outer plates.
A quick link only replaces the outer plates.
Your image shows 2 ends, each an outer plate, so you’ve only removed the inner link. To do this correctly, you need to include in the removal one set of outer plates.
But you have 2 sets of outer plates requiring removal, so you’ll be half a link too short….. you might be lucky and get away with it!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes - I'd go and beg a few spare links from my LBS (though I save the maybe 3 links I cut off each new chain 'in case').
I'll assume you know how long a chain you need for that bike, or how to work it out. Use of a quicklink, when fitted, adds one half link (1/2") to the chain length (obv). If an additional link (one inch) is needed you'll either need to push a pin in or use a second quicklink. Frankly, if the chain is now too short (large/large + one inch) an option is just to buy a new chain.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's not quite that straightforward. KMC do two different 8-speed Quicklinks, with different pin lengths.
The Halfords ad doesn't make it clear which of the two theirs is a replacement for.
It's not a Hal fords 'ad': it's the link to the item on their website.
Dave - The links I linked to are not KMC. I don't know you're wrong. I think, rather than telling us "it's not quite that straightforward", you could do us a service by linking to the two (alleged) different 8sp quicklinks and tell us why one will join a chain with specified width, and one will be ineffective.
What about using a SRAM powerlink? Have SRAM got "two different ones too"?
Here's a KMC link (swidt). There are two types: one reusable: one not. Are their pin lengths different?
Wippermann Connex Chain Links have a very good reputation (and as I explained in an earlier post, the 8speed ones will work on chains fitted to 6/7/8sp drivetrains).
All links above are from
Tweeks (I have not searched for the best price).

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Nothing "alleged" about it:

KMC 8-speed Z8 and Z8RB chains (as per your link) use a link with a 7.1mm pin - you can see the part no CL571R stamped on the outer plate.

KMC 8-speed X8 and ZX8RB chains use a link with a 7.3mm pin (CL573R).

KMC 7.1mm & 7.3mm pins.jpg

A moment's thought will conclude that if a chain needs the 7.3 mm pin link, you won't be able to join it with a 7.1mm link.

While I can't say for sure that's the OP's problem, it would fit the description of what seems to be happening.

OP
OP
nuteck

nuteck

After removing outer plates the quick libk will fit (is fitted) however i am two kinks short in my chain. Can these be refitted and what tool is needed together with pins, although i kept the old pins

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have you fitted the correct speed chain, as your quick links pictured in post #6 were 9 and 10 spd quick links, which wont fit a 6-8 spd chain. if you have fitted a 9 or 10 spd chain your going to have a lot of issues with it skipping.

to extend your chain you need more link of the same size chain ending at inner plates and another quick link.

however from my post above You may well need a new 6-8 spd chain - buy one that comes with a quick link to join it, its the least stress way to do it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
After removing outer plates the quick libk will fit (is fitted) however i am two kinks short in my chain. Can these be refitted and what tool is needed together with pins, although i kept the old pins
As I said: go down and beg a couple of links (two inches) from your LBS. If you're going to join it by pushing the pin back in, you already have your chain splitting tool. See the image @stoatsngroats shared for inspiration. It's not rocket engineering.

OP
OP
nuteck

nuteck

Have you fitted the correct speed chain, as your quick links pictured in post #6 were 9 and 10 spd quick links, which wont fit a 6-8 spd chain. if you have fitted a 9 or 10 spd chain your going to have a lot of issues with it skipping.

to extend your chain you need more link of the same size chain ending at inner plates and another quick link.

however from my post above You may well need a new 6-8 spd chain - buy one that comes with a quick link to join it, its the least stress way to do it.
Buying a new chain is a good plan. Do they come right length or do i count the links on my old chain?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
After removing outer plates the quick link will fit (is fitted) however i am two links short in my chain. Can these be refitted and what tool is needed together with pins, although i kept the old pins

A good tip, which I recall from the bad old days before I discovered quicklinks: if you plan to push the pin back in, don't push it all the way out when you're splitting the chain - only as far as you need to wiggle out the inner plates. With the pin still left attached to the outer plate, it's a whole lot easier to push it back in with the chain tool.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If you end up with a spare chain that's too short it'll be perfect to practice with the chain splitter. I should probably do that one day. I've never managed to keep the pin in the chain.

I'm impressed by those people who have the time, inclination & skill to take their chains off to clean them on a regular basis.

Top Bottom