Quick question (hopefully) about Tiagra 4700 LH Shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I’ve just bought a Shimano Tiagra 4700 groupset to upgrade an old bike. Everthing was bought new except for the shifters as I found them at a really good price, and in great unused condition, on eBay.

My dilemma is this - I ordered them as a 2x10 setup but the LH shifter appears to have additional clicks! I know about the trim function but without actually putting them on a bike I’m unable to tell if this accounts for the extra clicks.

The model numbers are ST4700 for double and ST4703 for triple and when I pull back the hood on the shifter it’s marked ST4700 but I’m unsure if this is the model number (which would confirm it as a double) or the series number which would be the same for the double and the triple :sad: (why can’t they just name the double ST4702???)

Has anyone got the Tiagra 4700 groupset and can help? If anyone has a triple and can pull back the hood that would help, I’m hoping it says ST4703!

Attachments

• 97C7008D-78F7-4AF9-9BC5-CD42BE9065D2.jpeg
    97C7008D-78F7-4AF9-9BC5-CD42BE9065D2.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 51
Are you sure you don’t have 2 RHS?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I haven't, but a Tiagra 4700 groupset triple STI will have ST-4703 on it.
Even if you had a ST-4703 (which you haven't) you could use this on a double provided you set the limit screws appropriately and do not try to force it in use.
Be polite in answering the post above.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
I’m almost certain that that’s the case Ajax but just wanted to make certain before I stripped the perfectly good groupset off my old bike.

My concert was simply that the 4700 marking on the shifter could refer to the series (4700 series groupset) in which case it would say that on the double and the triple. Probably just being paranoid :smile:

As for Racing roadkill’s post - if it was said in jest then :rofl: and if it was said in earnest then :crazy: Either way, thanks for the replies :smile:

Top Bottom