Quick Random question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you're always falling off, you need to practice more.

If you never fall off, you're not practicing hard enough.

Look at some training drills that aid low speed balance. Bicycles don't travel in straight lines but in a series of swoopy curves, the better you are the straighter the curve so it just looks straight.
Lay some some cans or cones to make a slalom course and ride it. Pick up cans and reposition them without getting off the bike..
Just try riding as slowly as you can, you will have to do a lot of steering to maintain balance and learn that you steer by leaning and balance by steering.
Practice precision braking so you know where and when you will stop. Use lines on the surface to mark stop lines.
Practice high speed emergency braking, pushing back with your arms and getting low and back off the saddle.
This will upgrade your skillz.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Guys when I first started cycling again that was when I was falling off (as I didn't cycle for. 8 years beforehand) but I dont any more
I am not one to talk because I fall off my bike on a fairly frequent basis but front wheel skids can be nasty because you haven't got any steering so be careful. If you aren't coming to any harm you are probably falling "well", i.e. not onto anything valuable like your head, rolling or sliding when you hit the ground and wearing gloves.

But there is always one that catches you out, I broke my arm right by my elbow ironically in a very low speed crash (where you can't roll/slide so you get maximum impact). Plus if you want to progress to roads at some stage loss of control accidents can end up being very dangerous.

There is probably a way to learn to slide/roll but it always seems to end up as instincts when you actually do crash.
most of the times I've fallen of my bike is mainly due to dogs running in front of the bike path at a the least likely time your expecting it or off leash dogs being curios of the bike so I guess suddenly braking but that just causes me to fall over to the side (especially on bends) so I actually don't hit my head and because I'm wearing gloves I don't hurt my hands.
Yeah I've fallen off and over alot of things and never hurt myself. Like even when I was younger that time I fell off over handlebars around age 10 I. just didnt hurt myself I just ended up with two scars which are barley noticeable anymore) and I know some of my friends who have fallen of theirs and broken their arm/leg.
(On the roads as long as your in control of your bike, predictable to other road users and aware of your surroundings crashes are less likely to happen,

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Keep the stabilizers on for now
Your realise that's offensive don't you?
Try riding straight along tramlines or any other wheel trapping straight line.
I guess your In US and we don't have Trams in UK well not where I live. (I dunno if they exist in other parts of UK) but I'm guessing tramlines are bassically the same as train lines,
Can't no train tacks to go over in my area (As there's already a train station) but no train crossings In my area if that makes sense (that's more common in countryside I personally think) and whats the point of that as your not sposseed to right straight as that would trap your wheel

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
That's flying not falling :tongue:
@McWobble & @swansonj who are known to me as engineering/scientific expert types and to whom this would be obvious.
I recently got to the bottom of my previous incomprehension of why it is that astronauts in orbit are weightless when clearly gravity doesn't stop when you are 100 miles up.
They aren't weightless per-se, they are simply constantly falling, but their velocity v the earths curvature is preventing an impact. So really, Douglas Adams was right it's 'throwing yourself at the ground and missing'.
Hard to do on my bike though, despite some dedicated practice.

and whats the point of that as your not sposseed to right straight as that would trap your wheel
The claim that bicycles ride in straight lines csn be tested by riding it restricted to a staight line. eg in tram tracks or ruts. This traps the wheel but does not prevent it rolling along. You cannot ride along in such a straight line, you lose balance and topple over because steering is used to prevent falling.

S-Express

The claim that bicycles ride in straight lines csn be tested by riding it restricted to a staight line. eg in tram tracks or ruts. This traps the wheel but does not prevent it rolling along. You cannot ride along in such a straight line, you lose balance and topple over because steering is used to prevent falling.

But they don't follow a series of 'swoopy curves' - which is what you said earlier. That was a bit daft.

But they don't follow a series of 'swoopy curves' - which is what you said earlier. That was a bit daft.
Bicycles don't travel in straight lines but in a series of swoopy curves, the better you are the straighter the curve so it just looks straight.
Either you travel in a straight line or a curve. If you can't ride in a straight line, ie in tram lines, without falling over, then you must be riding in curves . Experienced riders ride in curves which as I said just look like a straight line because the wavelength is so long. Ride through a puddle, make some tyre tracks and observe.
If this is not the case and I am being daft, please explain how it works.

Top Bottom