Quick release disc wheel removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mstaves

Hi.
I'm trying to remove the front wheel from my son's ridgeback nemesis.
Its a quick release wheel and I've got the spindle undone but the brakes and cables are still attached.
As it's a quick release wheel, I'm thinking I shouldn't need tools to remove the brakes.

I've not much idea what i am doing and was wondering if I'm missing something simple and obvious before i start taking things apart, that i probably can't put back together ha.

Thank you

20200428_184613.jpg

si_c

Guru
I don't think that's a disc brake, it looks more like a hub brake, I'm not familiar with shimano Nexave stuff so I'm afraid I can't be more help. @mjr might know more.

Reactions: C R

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think that's a disc brake, it looks more like a hub brake, I'm not familiar with shimano Nexave stuff so I'm afraid I can't be more help. @mjr might know more.
It's actually a so called roller brake. Part way between a hub brake and a disk brake IMO

The removal "trick" is the same as on many brakes: slacken the adjuster and squeeze the brake arm until you can unhook the cable. I'm surprised they needed a small spanner in the video @screenman posted, but those adjusters are exposed to road dirt so aren't the nicest things to grab and can get stuck easily.

OP
OP
M

mstaves

Ha shows how much i know. Thank you so much i may find a help video on it now x

OP
OP
M

mstaves

It's actually a so called roller brake. Part way between a hub brake and a disk brake IMO

The removal "trick" is the same as on many brakes: slacken the adjuster and squeeze the brake arm until you can unhook the cable. I'm surprised they needed a small spanner in the video @screenman posted, but those adjusters are exposed to road dirt so aren't the nicest things to grab and can get stuck easily.

You guys have been so much help. Thank you so much. I'm sure i now have the right information to be going on with. Totally appreciate your time and knowledge.

I don't know how to tag people into this response but thanks to yourself, si_c and screenman xx

Top Bottom