Quick Release Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My next door neighbour has asked me to repair a puncture in the front wheel of her Voodoo Bizango MTB. I think this is a Halfords brand but don't know.

The rear quick release is standard but the front seems to have a security mechanism. My neighbour says she doesn't have any sort of "key" for this.

Is it a security a device or just a quick release system I've never seen before? Help on how to release it would be appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like a security bolt - Whyte bikes come with these. Not sure how easy it is to remove without the key. Maybe they can take to Halfords, maybe it’s a standard thing and they’ll have the keys

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's in the end? Can you post another pic, end-on?

I'd be inclined to take the molegrips to it.

You might be able to patch the inner tube on the bike. Don't forget to check for glass or a thorn in the tyre.

Alberto Balsam

They're a weird looking thing, but the other end should have a standard lever, flip that and loosen a turn or two and the whole assembly slides out. It took me a while to figure that out on mine. I used to take the skewer out of the middle and strip it all down..😊😊

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They are. How many times have you unscrewed one and cammed it over correctly for somebody?

It is lawyer lips that led to that ridiculous state of affairs. Without lawyer lips there is no need to unscrew QRs to drop a wheel out. Lawyer lips made them not quite so quick release any more.

Alberto Balsam

Actually, looking at your pic again. I think that's assembled wrong. The tapered part next to the fork looks to be the wrong way round. Unscrew the longer 'nut' from the skewer and turn the tapered collet round. Of course, if it's all been over tightened to take account of the mis-assembly, the collet might be knackered now...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is lawyer lips that led to that ridiculous state of affairs. Without lawyer lips there is no need to unscrew QRs to drop a wheel out. Lawyer lips made them not quite so quick release any more.
I agree that 'lawyer lips' are a pain and should not be necessary, but I have seen people trying to close QRs by using the levers like wing nuts so help to prevent them breaking their necks is not as ridiculous as one would think!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I agree that 'lawyer lips' are a pain and should not be necessary, but I have seen people trying to close QRs by using the levers like wing nuts so help to prevent them breaking their necks is not as ridiculous as one would think!

Lack of people reading the instructions and not being mechanically minded. Curse of the modern age.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Here are better images. There is a collar which contracts to go inside the fork dropout and expands when it's screwed out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_151735276.jpg
    IMG_20200508_151735276.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200508_151744925.jpg
    IMG_20200508_151744925.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200508_152916048.jpg
    IMG_20200508_152916048.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 11

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tough luck on them. We should not all have to suffer because some people are to stupid to use a lever.
I'm irritated by the QR thing, but it doesn't bother me that much.

What REALLY annoys me is the stupid set of rules brought in to 'protect' web users. For all time now, everybody on every website will be reminded that cookies will be used, what they are for, how the site will not work properly without them, and that we should read the privacy policy and 112 pages of indecipherable legalese, before completely ignoring the whole thing and clicking the button to make it go away!

Top Bottom