quick release question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helsbells

Hello all!
I was just looking at my bike this evening (admiring it, as it's parked next to the telly!!), and was wondering if on the front wheel, does it make any difference which side the quick release lever is on? I can't see that t would, but it was on the other side to my rear one, and as my mind was wandering, I thought it best to check with the giant cycle chat brain ;)

Cheers
Helen

stopher83

Quick Release

The Quick release that i use i always has them on the same side but i dont think it really matters! Maybe if your anal about your weight balance.

www.uk-cycling.org

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tyres sometimes/often have a direction of rotation marked on them, if the QR is on the right hand side could it be that the rotation mark is now going the wrong way. I think the direction of rotation of the tyre is to do with shedding water.

Other than that I think its a matter of habit that you would always know the QR was on the left hand side maybe. (And the QR lever should not be facing forwards).

And on the rear I assume its always on the left to keep it away from the cassette etc, so maybe thats why its on the left at the front too?.

Someone more intelligent might be along with a better explanation.:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
summerdays said:
Tyres sometimes/often have a direction of rotation marked on them, if the QR is on the right hand side could it be that the rotation mark is now going the wrong way. I think the direction of rotation of the tyre is to do with shedding water.
For road tyres, pattern direction doesn't really matter Summerdays (other than if there's a particular aesthetic you prefer). There may be some benefit for knobblies;

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#direction

You can, of course, unthread the nut on the quick release and have the lever on whichever side you wish, without changing the orientation of the wheels...

My front wheel has to go on a particular way though, because of where the computer magnet is (has to pass the sensor on the fork within a certain distance to register the rotation). I have my QR lever on the left (non-chainring side) and my tyre logo/valve stem alignment is done on this side too. No particular reason other than habit.

Back wheels, of course, can only be fitted one way because of the sprockets needing to be on the same side as the rest of the drive train - similarly, the QR lever would be more difficult (if not impossible) to close on this side.

Blue

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
My front wheel has to go on a particular way though, because of where the computer magnet is (has to pass the sensor on the fork within a certain distance to register the rotation).

A very important point. I once did a roadside puncture repair in a hurry (trying to meet-up with a group that was on the move) and, post repair, got a couple of hundred yards down the road wondering why my computer wasn't working before I realised that I had refitted the wheel the wrong way.

dodgy

QRs on the non-drive side, you've got all that weight of chainrings and chains and mechs to counterbalance after all :tongue:

Dave.

Top Bottom