Quick wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rummaging through my Box O' Sheet I've found a rear wheel I want to roess into service. It's an araya rim with a Shimano Alivio MTB hub and 7 speed freewheel which dates to 1996.

Heres the rub - theres no axle. No problem to fit one, but what size would I need? Somethihg in the back of my mind says 9.5mm. I'll measure the recipient frame to determine the length, just need to know the thickness.

Thanks in advance.

C R

Guru
Rummaging through my Box O' Sheet I've found a rear wheel I want to roess into service. It's an araya rim with a Shimano Alivio MTB hub and 7 speed freewheel which dates to 1996.

Heres the rub - theres no axle. No problem to fit one, but what size would I need? Somethihg in the back of my mind says 9.5mm. I'll measure the recipient frame to determine the length, just need to know the thickness.

Thanks in advance.
Do you have the cones matching the cups?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I hope you have bearings from each side of the wheel. They may be different sizes, as you may already know. I'd try to find mine, but it's 5a.m. here, so I have to go to work presently.

C R

Guru
I have the same wheel on my boy's 2000's ish CB MTB and it looks like 10mm but I don't have anything for accurate measuring so could be 9.5.
I think my old MTB rear wheel was 10 mm axle, no name wheel, mid 90s. The reason I ask about the cones is that unless you get the exact right ones, all sorts of unfortunate things with the fitting of the axle, bearings, etc, might happen, DAMHIKT.

Top Bottom