"Quiet" route to Brighton from W.London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stan_Bowles

Need to up the mileage and a bit tired of doing laps round Richmond Park so I'd like to give this a go soon.
Anyone got any suggestions of a decent route to Brighton from Putney?

Would most likely tackle this early on a sunday morning.
Any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think we need a"sticky" the definitive guide to routes from London to London-by-Sea.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Your route will probably involve the following: Find a point to cross the N Downs/M25. Find a point to cross the S. Downs and enter Brighton. Join the two with a wiggly line that avoids Crawley.

Crossing the North Downs will involve going up a big hill and down a big hill. Wherever there is a gap in the Downs you will find it occupied by a very busy road (like the A23) choked with traffic.

Crossing the South Downs will involve going up a big hill and down a big hill. You will probably choose between Devil's Dyke and Ditchling Beacon. (Or maybe Pyecombe and the A23 cycle path)

Crossing the bit in the middle involves avoiding Crawley, riding along any number of nice agreeable lanes, and choosing a small town (not Crawley) to stop for cake.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I had been doing a little bit of planning to get onto the cycle route from Crawley to Brighton . My plan was to ride to box hill and then turn left before box then ......

Pebble hill road
station road
left onto old road
right onto the street
snower hill road
tapners road
through leigh onto smalls hill road
norwwod hill
norwood road
the street
right onto ifield road
charwood road
ifield ave
crawley and hunt down cycle route ( 20 I think ) to brighton .

Top Bottom