Quill stem stuck - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
fossyant said:
Stuck bits are as a result of a poor maintenance regime - doesn't matter what parts are fitted to any bike...........

True. The stem on my fixie has welded itself to the steerer tube. All my fault (or possibly the previous owner's) - I should have greased it.:becool:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Yeah - I think there may have been a little lapse in my greasing regime as well.

However my quill stem is now so well lubricated that you could market it as a sex toy :becool:

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
yeah they are neater - i'll give you that... it's nice on your bike for example, very elegant like the rest of the bike!. But my problem with them is they don't make sense like threadless headsets. I like things that are simple mechanically, for me something that is mechanically simple and obvious is something that is beautifully engineered. One thing provides force parallel to the steerer to create compression, then another thing provides force like a 'cuff' around the steerer holding it there. Easy. I've had a threaded one before and it kept getting loose, such that eventually the handlebars would be able to move relative to the wheel! Tightening up the quill would sort it temporarily, but it would soon go back like that again. Admittedly it was a cheapo bargain-basement-bin 'mtb', but what can you do? All the working are internal. yes there probably is something you , but it isn't cost effective/obvious, or both!

Crap physics in so many ways. For example, neither 'provides force'

Top Bottom