Quitting cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Last year I commuted until Christmas and then hardly at all until March. How do you keep motivated to do a commute in the middle of the winter? I hope that I wont quit this year but I'm not sure. I think part of my problem is that my commute is entirely optional. Ideas?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Make it too difficult to use the car? At the minute I have to move two wheelie bins & two bikes to get the car out of the garage. Then put bikes & bins back. It's much easier to take the Brompton from the porch.

Are you saving money when you cycle? Promise yourself a treat with the money you save.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Make it too difficult to use the car? At the minute I have to move two wheelie bins & two bikes to get the car out of the garage. Then put bikes & bins back. It's much easier to take the Brompton from the porch.

Are you saving money when you cycle? Promise yourself a treat with the money you save.

I either cycle (normally 8 miles each way in the winter) - or I walk (1.5 miles each way). I enjoy both. Therein lies my problem...

Buy some foul-weather gear, some toasty merino Tshirts or socks. You will be gagging for some cold weather to try them out.
Make sure bike is configured for the conditions, not a hacked around summer bike.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I either cycle (normally 8 miles each way in the winter) - or I walk (1.5 miles each way). I enjoy both. Therein lies my problem...
Do whichever suits you. If you want to ride; ride, if you want to walk; walk. God does not kill a kitten every time you walk somewhere instead of riding.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My commute is completely optional but I just keep going. Whatever the weather.
It just comes down to the fact that some people enjoy cycling in the darker months then others.

winjim

Smash the cistern
  1. Smug factor
  2. Winter public transport is horrible, full of people in wet overcoats with umbrellas
  3. Bike shed at work's nearly empty, more space to park
  4. Different riding conditions bring new set of challenges
  5. The right bike will cope with the ice and snow, the right clobber will keep you warm and dry
  6. Man vs nature, the eternal struggle
  7. No reason not to
  8. I love riding my bike
I rode to work every day last winter bar one. That was due to high wind forecast but it wasn't too bad, I could've managed. Stopped riding in spring when I had a heavily pregnant woman to accompany.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Can't deny I love the smug part, the weird looks when people see me cycling past my car when I leave home and work especially when its cold and wet. Plus when I arrive soaked, cold and buzzing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mrs Skol asked me to cut down on the cycling/commuting this year so I halved my projected mileage/target from 4k to 2k and promised to use the car more often (I have a choice of two normally). To be honest, I am not doing very well and have just had to revise my expectations back up to 3k. I just can't help it and the dirtier the weather, the worse the traffic and the darker the nights just challenge me to do it all the more. This week is a perfect example. On Sunday night it was battering down at teatime after it had gone dark and just before I was due to set off for a 12hr night shift. I put on the full wet weather gear for the first time in ages and couldn't wait to get out of the door and into the tempest. It was brill, loved it and was hoping for more the next night (it was much drier but windier).

I just love to cycle commute in all weathers and can't comprehend why everyone doesn't feel the same once they start to turn the pedals?