Quitting cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Last year, I bought a CX bike and I couldn't leave it alone. I am still smitten by it and have done nearly as many miles on it as I have on my roadie. It's definitely boosted my winter riding and I love it, which is more than I could say about my MTB, which was OK I suppose.
@G3CWI Have you a winter bike that you love?

Possibly a stupid question but why is your ride 8 miles but it's only 1.5 miles to walk?

I'm wondering the same. There is no rule that says you to make your cycle commute a "long" ride. Also, there is no rule that you should force yourself to cycle commute. If something else suits you better, then do that. Personally I can't imagine anything other than a cycle commute for my daily journey (although if the roads turned icy I would take the bus), but I also couldn't imagine anything other than driving or walking when that was the best way of getting to previous jobs...

MarkF

Guru
I have 1.5 mile downhill ride immediatley after leaving home, I get frozen, after a flat 1.5 miles, I then have a hard 2 mile climb and end up a sweaty mess at my work. I'll be giving up shortly until March and won't miss it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm wondering the same. There is no rule that says you to make your cycle commute a "long" ride. Also, there is no rule that you should force yourself to cycle commute.
Are you mad?

Mrs Skol pointed out a job vacancy advert earlier in the week for a position that I could do. I read the advert, pay was ok, hours were better, job description made it sound quite interesting. I disregarded her suggestion that I should apply. The job is at a site about ½ a mile away, that just isn't going to work :rofl:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm currently 'between jobs' and I'm fearful that my next job might not allow for a cycle commute. Enjoy it while you can!

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm wondering the same. There is no rule that says you to make your cycle commute a "long" ride. Also, there is no rule that you should force yourself to cycle commute. If something else suits you better, then do that.
Exactly. When I lived 2 miles from work I walked more than I cycled, especially when winter arrived. Although I was walking when I slipped on some ice and broke my wrist.
I have 1.5 mile downhill ride immediatley after leaving home, I get frozen, after a flat 1.5 miles, I then have a hard 2 mile climb and end up a sweaty mess at my work. I'll be giving up shortly until March and won't miss it.
I'm taking a break from commuting this winter. Summer wasn't great so I didn't get to cycle for pleasure as much as I'd liked and it's all become a bit of a chore. I don't feel as safe on those roads either. There's more traffic than last year and they seem to be getting faster and closer.
Are you mad?

Mrs Skol pointed out a job vacancy advert earlier in the week for a position that I could do. I read the advert, pay was ok, hours were better, job description made it sound quite interesting. I disregarded her suggestion that I should apply. The job is at a site about ½ a mile away, that just isn't going to work :rofl:
I'd take the job and use all that extra time for riding for fun. I always find I'm more likely to get out on a bike in the evenings and at weekends if I'm doing fewer commute miles.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We've been looking at houses recently, some of them a bit of a way out. My wife keeps saying "well it's fine for you, but how will I get to work?" :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm taking a break from commuting this winter. Summer wasn't great so I didn't get to cycle for pleasure as much as I'd liked and it's all become a bit of a chore. I don't feel as safe on those roads either. There's more traffic than last year and they seem to be getting faster and closer.

I'd take the job and use all that extra time for riding for fun. I always find I'm more likely to get out on a bike in the evenings and at weekends if I'm doing fewer commute miles.
I have to correct you here. the commute is pleasure, not a chore. Commute time is fun time and unlike a fully 'pleasure' ride doesn't have to be justified to myself or the boss because I would be making that journey anyway. This makes it guilt free fun!

SeanM

I'm just about to embark on a thrice weekly 20m commute (one way) to work, though i'm a little nervous as i've barely even ridden in the rain before, let alone in anything approaching cold weather. Fortunately, it'll be midday before i set off, so it shouldn't be too bad. Really looking forward to it, see how long that lasts..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nothing wrong with walking! Just have the occasional bike ride at least once a week over the winter.
A bit OT but love this....

upload_2015-11-10_21-44-13.png

As a parent of two boys and wife of a big kid, Lady Skol would totally agree with this. :hello:

Last year one of my mates suggested Liege Bastogne Liege 167km and a few of us planned to do that. Then somebody suggested we do the 279km. So I focussed on that over winter. In the end all my mates dropped back to the 167km and I ended up doing the 279km on my own, the first 100km in heavy rain :-/

This year Ive decided I'll do the Mallorca 312 in Spring but I've decided to go through a coach to ensure I'm not doing it alone but I'm not sure the coach thinks of heavy commuting is good and it'll probably be more turbo work :-/

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Last year one of my mates suggested Liege Bastogne Liege 167km and a few of us planned to do that. Then somebody suggested we do the 279km. So I focussed on that over winter. In the end all my mates dropped back to the 167km and I ended up doing the 279km on my own, the first 100km in heavy rain :-/

This year Ive decided I'll do the Mallorca 312 in Spring but I've decided to go through a coach to ensure I'm not doing it alone but I'm not sure the coach thinks of heavy commuting is good and it'll probably be more turbo work :-/
Do you need to do the 312 non stop? As in no sleep?
Why is winter commuting not good training towards this?