Quitting cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you need to do the 312 non stop? As in no sleep?
Why is winter commuting not good training towards this?
Yip, I think it'll take 10-11h; the 257km solo Tour of Flanders took 10h moving and with the queues for feedstations 11h in total. That was the motivation for winter 2012.
Not sure as to why coaches seem to prefer turbos in winter, I'll have to ask the coach. Maybe its that they are more consistent :-/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Won't happen in my case. It would be the end if I didn't commute by bike. Commuting by car into a city centre is bloody soul destroying.

I can blag a space at work if not too well, but I don't. I ride. The amount of colleagues that are totally stressed on arriving at work, is crazy. I'm chilled and ready to go...

I've had a few silly health issues that would stop folk riding, still ride. I'm from the old skool club. If I can't ride then something is really wrong. My surgeon starts revising his 'so when can I ride' targets when I ask. 6 weeks was down to 4....

I'm not getting the chance to blast about at weekends at the moment, so my bike commute is my space, my training. it works.

I have 1.5 mile downhill ride immediatley after leaving home, I get frozen, after a flat 1.5 miles, I then have a hard 2 mile climb and end up a sweaty mess at my work. I'll be giving up shortly until March and won't miss it.
I had a "U-Bend commute. I figured that wearing an insulated gillet over my shell and remove it before the climb was the quickest, most convenient was to regulate temperature.

Lonestar

Veteran
Last year I commuted until Christmas and then hardly at all until March. How do you keep motivated to do a commute in the middle of the winter? I hope that I wont quit this year but I'm not sure. I think part of my problem is that my commute is entirely optional. Ideas?

Public transport motivates me,hate it.I like buses from the outside,though.:wub:

clid61

Veteran
I was offered a lift into work on monday night , which I rarely, but gladly accepted due to fowl weather. Due to M6 being shut at Standish it took 2hours to get home tuesday morning as opposed to my commute of 35 mins ! Lesson learned !

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Unfortunately, I stop commuting during the dark months, but I go out every lunch and at the weekend, still doing 90-100 miles a week.
During the summer I can top 140 + miles a week.
My reason for stopping is there is an unlit, hilly, tree lined road between work and home that has lots of fast sections.
I have the lights, I have the balls, and it is all fine with me, but my wife prefers I don't.
In previous winters I've commuted occasionally, but this year i'm giving it a miss

Mile195

Veteran
By cycling to work, I save £2500 a year on a rail season ticket. That's the cost of a business class return to San Francisco, with change left for the cable car.

I've been cycling to work for about 8 years now - so a very crude calculation completely unadjusted for inflation or anything, means I've so far saved approximately £20'000.

That, I find, is all the motivation I need!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
By cycling to work, I save £2500 a year on a rail season ticket. That's the cost of a business class return to San Francisco, with change left for the cable car.

I've been cycling to work for about 8 years now - so a very crude calculation completely unadjusted for inflation or anything, means I've so far saved approximately £20'000.

That, I find, is all the motivation I need!
You've not spent that money saved on more bikes then................................shame on you. :whistle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I bought a disc braked gravel bike in the summer sales and have equipped it with mudguards. Loving riding it and not worrying about the state of the roads/wheel rims etc..