Quitting cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
By cycling to work, I save £2500 a year on a rail season ticket. That's the cost of a business class return to San Francisco, with change left for the cable car.

I've been cycling to work for about 8 years now - so a very crude calculation completely unadjusted for inflation or anything, means I've so far saved approximately £20'000.

That, I find, is all the motivation I need!

It's not about money for me (although I get the point).I actually get free travel (or already paid for in a way I guess) to work,though I don't use it.;)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Four reasons:

1. Commuting through the winter gives you a fitness head-start when Spring arrives.
2. Get to the car. Windscreen needs clearing of ice. Cold inside, and you have to suffer / shiver until the car warms up. Bike? No windscreen, and you can get warm by riding harder. The destiny is in your hands.
3. Traffic is worse. You save more time in winter than summer.
4. You are badass. You can already be smug for having the sense and fitness to use your bike rather than a car. You can be even more smug if you do this through winter.

Fortunately there is enough high quality kit to solve the rain and cold problems, making sure that you arrive toasty and dry.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't commute until March either, but I have several major intersections to cross in the dark, as well as poor road surfaces. It's dark when I get off work, so I just get my cycling done on days off.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Last year I commuted until Christmas and then hardly at all until March. How do you keep motivated to do a commute in the middle of the winter? I hope that I wont quit this year but I'm not sure. I think part of my problem is that my commute is entirely optional. Ideas?
Do what you can, the hardest part is actually getting out of bed when its dark cold and wet. I was cycling in all weathers up to this year but now, I take the car occasionally. Don`t beat yourself up about it, why feel guilty ? Take a break and get back on it, rest is good !

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Last year I commuted until Christmas and then hardly at all until March. How do you keep motivated to do a commute in the middle of the winter? I hope that I wont quit this year but I'm not sure. I think part of my problem is that my commute is entirely optional. Ideas?

I reckon if i drove I'd think ***k it! and jump in the car instead... but my only other option is walking :sad: so the bike is the easy option :smile:

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think maybe I am being a bit too hard on myself for walking instead of cycling. I will see how it goes over the winter. A CX bike is a good idea - but is unlikely to happen (sadly). My hybrid feels a very heavy ride compared to my road bikes and that's certainly a factor.

After December it seems quite an effort to set out down the dark lanes of Cheshire when a walk or direct ride home is so much easier. I clearly need to "man- up".

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
PS - I also find that buying the right gear helps - knowing I'll be comfortable on the bike - but also thinking that now I've gone & bought it I had jolly well better use it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been cycle commuting for over 30 years, for almost all of that time I only had my bikes, for a large chunk of that time where I was working wasn't easy to get to without a bike or car, and with a family to support and a mortgage to pay the car was out of the question so I rode. A couple of years ago with the lads having left the nest and with the mortgages paid off I started to drive again, but I still do most of my commuting by bike, and I still commute right through the winter, these days I get the car out if the rain is is beating on the window when I get out of bed or if I have an errand to run and I can't run it on the bike. But I still get the same sense of satisfaction when I roll up at work or home having beaten foul weather.