Quitting Winter Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm very glad I live in a place where this isn't the case, partly through availability of public transport, and partly because we have a network of traffic free or less used roads where it is safe to cycle.

It doesn't stop people telling me that it's impossible to do what I do though, even after 14 years...
Unfortunately where i work there are no public transport links within a mile and even then that would mean catching 2 buses doubling the distance and walking either end assuming i could plan my shifts as we have a " work till done plan " company mentality .

tyred

Legendary Member
View attachment 449986 I can understand you being put off from bad drivers, I had the same issue a couple of years ago and split the commute for a while with both driving and cycling. After a while of getting fed up with being stuck in my lovely tin box during the daily gridlock, I returned refreshed to cycle commuting and have not stopped since.
As for cheap motoring, I bought my 1994 Skoda Favorit estate a couple of years back for just under £500 ! Cracking car which has actually gone up in value due to the rarity and sudden coolness ! Luckily I know the cars well and any maintenance is second nature to me so garage bills do not exist.... mind you I still haven’t required those skills other than do the yearly servicing.
This is my old girl earning her keep to lug bike and camping gear to Lincolnshire for a 200k Audax

I love the Skoda :okay:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Well I managed to ride the off road route today on the commute back. Its just too boggy to ride after wet weather on my gravel bike. Nearly came off a few times on slow climbs where i struggled to get traction. Had to push a bit too. As a result my bike and my boots were caked in mud too. Its going to increase maintenance work and cleaning exponentially if I keep doing that. The dark was manageable though which means if the ground gets frozen or dry I'll happily ride it after dark. My 350 lumen light was plenty bright. but looks like it's not a reliable route year round sadly.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well I managed to ride the off road route today on the commute back. Its just too boggy to ride after wet weather on my gravel bike. Nearly came off a few times on slow climbs where i struggled to get traction. Had to push a bit too. As a result my bike and my boots were caked in mud too. Its going to increase maintenance work and cleaning exponentially if I keep doing that. The dark was manageable though which means if the ground gets frozen or dry I'll happily ride it after dark. My 350 lumen light was plenty bright. but looks like it's not a reliable route year round sadly.
Can you mix the routes together, keeping your time on the bad parts to a minimum?

I feel your frustration there. I have a good enough ride into Stuttgart, but it's steep in places, and those places aren't gritted in winter so I'm stuffed. On Weekend shifts I'll ride on the roads (Germany is much quieter at weekends) and more importantly I can take the tram back up the hill with bike: on weekdays bikes are banned [s=]off-peak[/s] at peak times.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I feel your frustration there. I have a good enough ride into Stuttgart, but it's steep in places, and those places aren't gritted in winter so I'm stuffed. On Weekend shifts I'll ride on the roads (Germany is much quieter at weekends) and more importantly I can take the tram back up the hill with bike: on weekdays bikes are banned off-peak.
Allowed in peak periods?

I came close to quitting 18 months ago after a driver & three of his 'mates' tried to attack me - fortunately they weren't the brightest of sparks & stopped at a point I could ride off (got put on anti-anxiety meds which I'm still taking). However, I bought myself a bar mounted camera which made enough difference to get me out the front door. I won't commute without it now (have a rear mounted one too now). It wouldnt stop it happening again, but at least I might have some recourse afterwards. I haven't done any "proper" cycling since. I just can't get myself through the front door when it's "just for fun" rather than a necessary journey.

CXRAndy

Guru
Get an electric car, 95% of all vehicle journeys in the world are less than 30 miles, so an electric car is perfect. Recharge over night or work-if they have facility, alot of firms are installing chargers.

We have a Nissan leaf and in 1 year we've put 18000 miles on it with lots of local journeys. It costs £3.20 for 150 miles of range- no internal combustion engine can get anywhere near that. We are selling all our petrol vehicles now and getting a Hyundai Kona electric EV this winter.

Comparison for you, We spent £380 on electric to go 18,000 miles

A internal combustion engine, that would of cost £3,300!!
assuming 30mpg ave, Which is an ave town journey mpg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Just to update, DPD eventually responded to my e-mail, they promised to have stern words with the depot responsible for the driver. There was talk of retraining, so hopefully our offender will think twice before doing it again.

And totally unrelated to my incident, due to neck pains, I have been resorting to getting two buses to work instead of cycling. It takes slightly longer than my 50 minute ride, its 1 hour 10, including a 15 minute walk. It's costing me £4.80 a day (weekly pass) to use two different bus services to travel 10 miles which is unpalatable when riding costs next to nothing. Well, only if you ignore the cost of the bike and servicing/parts, which I guess isn't entirely fair.

Overall, it's not bad, I don't mind the reading time, but I don't like being subject to the whims of cancellations/delays and feel the pounds piling on now my calorie expenditure has plummeted. Now the neck is on the mend, I have decided to use C2W to buy a 6 speed bompton. That way I can ride into work, and if conditions on the road deteriorate, I can hop on the bus without a second thought.

mustang1

Guru
I got my car for £700 a few years ago (2004 Hyundai Santa Fe). Flies through MOT's, its mint. Just got it for the odd occasion I need to haul stuff around. Shes a V6!! :tongue: Thirsty bugger but because I use it so infrequently it doesn't cost me much or impact the environment much. Annoys me greatly my VED tax is so much (because of engine size). But I hardly use it. Really should be done on mileage.

This is why Lambos and the like pollute so little because they are not driven much. Someone will crack a joke about driving it 1000 miles is like driving a normal car 10000 miles or some such.

KneesUp

Guru
This is why Lambos and the like pollute so little because they are not driven much. Someone will crack a joke about driving it 1000 miles is like driving a normal car 10000 miles or some such.
The pollution comes more from making the thing in the first place - which is why Land Rovers are considered relatively 'clean' because a large proportion of them are still working. That pollution has been released, whether the car is used or not.

Top Bottom