Quitting Winter Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Something snapped last night. Yet another close pass, a DPD van driver. He was stuck behind me for ~30 seconds on a climb with stationary traffic backed up in the other lane so it wasn't possible for him to pass. I had a strong secondary position on the narrow road. He cut around sharply at the first break in the queue, but oncoming traffic meant there was not enough time pass in the other lane, cutting back in whilst passing alongside me. If I had picked up speed it would have guaranteed a collision. Such a selfish prick. If I had caught up with him my bike might well have been thrown through the windshield. It would have felt good to put the farker out of work few days whilst his van was repaired. I felt so indignant that anyone would do this deliberately to a vulnerable road user. Are we just supposed to continue to take this abuse?

It might be due to the recent arrival of my daughter, but I never thought I would feel like this. I'm seriously considering quitting night/winter cycle commuting. I'm not sure it's entirely rational... but this one section of my route which is pretty much unavoidable seems to be a black spot for dangerous and impatient drivers. There is an alternative off road route, which is OK and passable in the Spring through to early autumn... but as soon as the clocks switch it's too dark, not to mention boggy and rutted to pass safely.

I spent 3 hours last night looking at cheap city cars. Toyota Aygo, Seat Mii etc. I'm thise close to pulling the trigger. I left the bike at home today. It feels sad that it has come to this. I'm strongly pro cycle commuting and hate dependance on motor transport, it's a source of many frustrations and I feel conflicted contributing to congestion/air pollution/climate change, not to mention sitting in traffic, but the infrastructure for safe cycling is just not available for the most dangerous sections of my commute. I feel I don't have an alternative.

Anyone else here quit commuting come winter time?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you think this idiots behaviour would be any better during the summer months?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Did you get his registration? Report it to both the police and DPD with date, time and road.
Yes, I have footage too. West yorkshire police have been rubbish lately at dealing with my reports, after initial success when I first got my camera. I'll not bother again. Reporting drivers doesn't correlate with a reduction of twunts in the road, sadly, therefore reporting seems futile to me.

I am definitely hoping to take the rest of the week off. Trouble is we only have one car and DW requires the use of it most days... hence the knee jerk reaction to looking into used cars.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, I have footage too. West yorkshire police have been rubbish lately at dealing with my reports, after initial success when I first got my camera. I'll not bother again. Reporting drivers doesn't correlate with a reduction of twunts in the road, sadly, therefore reporting seems futile to me.

I am definitely hoping to take the rest of the week off. Trouble is we only have one car and DW requires the use of it most days... hence the knee jerk reaction to looking into used cars.

Download the footage and put a link on DPD's Twitbook page.

beany_bot

Veteran
I would say if you have a preferable route that is fine in summer, (I assume on a road bike?). I'll bet it is passable in winter with a cyclocross bike with hybrid tyres, lights and mudguards. I converted my road bike to a cyclocross with 32C hybrid tyres and use it all year on very mixed surfaces (road, towpath and light trail). I would go this route. Also cycling trails at night with lights is lots of fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I ride a Surly Straggler year round (a gravel bike) with Marathon Winters (35C), when spikes are not in use I ride semi-knobbly (38C) G-Ones, so off roading itself isn't an issue, I'm taking this route in the spring.

Some of the off road route is quite steep and technical, which is what puts me off riding in the dark. It's not an easy flat trail by any stretch. Getting off and pushing those bits is feasible, but still, I'll get really muddy and bogged down in other parts. Maybe I'll try the route this weekend after dark and see what it's really like. I won't be able to drop 6k on a car this month anyway, and finance isn't an option because we need to remortgage our house soon for a better rate and would rather not have that on my credit liabilities!

I think this might have to do for now anyway!

Last edited:

beany_bot

Veteran
Yeah christ don't spend any money on a car just now. Were you happy enough cycling on the road before this incident? If so I would say time is a healer. DPD idiot will be forgotten.

KneesUp

Guru
. I won't be able to drop 6k on a car this month anyway, and no way I'm getting finance, so I think this might have to do for now anyway!
I thought you said you were looking at cheap car?! I bought a second car a few years ago because for various reasons one car wasn't enough at the time - I picked up a straight, honest Fiesta for £500. Had it through two MOTs with minimal work (one year it was a light bulb, other year about £100 worth of bushes) before I sold it for £450. I mean, it was hot in summer because the A/C didn't work, but you can use your bike then. It never once let us down, that little Fester.

Top Bottom