Quitting Winter Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I know this is victim blaming - but you could try taking primary position and to hell with the farkers behind.
Wouldn't have mattered much, I was 1/3 way out, being 1/2 would have still resulted in the cutting back in. There was no time for a safe overtake and he tried it anyway.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
But my £500 Fiesta depreciated by £50 in two years. A £6k car will depreciate much more than 10% in that time. I just make the obvious checks - does it start ok, does it sound ok, does it have weird stuff coming out the exhaust, does the MOT history suggest it's ok, does it have some service history, is the oil oil coloured, or at least black - and then take it to my local garage and get them to give it the once over once I've bought it - basically asking them what might need looking at in the next year. One car I bought they looked at on a Friday but wouldn't give it me back because they showed me photos of it's camblelt being basically down to the threads, but other than that the 4 or 5 cars I've taken to them over the years have all been fine. Don't buy a £500 car expecting it to be perfect, buy it expecting to spend a few hundred on fixing things to get yourself basically a perfectly functioning old car. Chances are you won't need to spend that money, but account for it, and you can't go far wrong.

The Fester had about 120k on her when we bought her, which is nothing for a modern engine. You can strip down a Zetec engine after 100k miles and it will still be in blueprint tolerances. The car had a complete top end rebuild about 30k prior - long enough to be new, old enough for me to be certain it had been done properly. I've bought various high mileage cars - a 120k Citroen, two 100k+ Hondas, a 90k Seat and a 90k Fiat. Only the Fiat was any bother - and it was a Fiat, so it was probably trouble when it was new. I've also drive an Alfa from c.30k to c.130k, and that was fine too. If you service a modern car properly they last a long, long time.

I appreciate the detailed response. Some food for thought.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Something snapped last night. Yet another close pass, a DPD van driver. He was stuck behind me for ~30 seconds on a climb with stationary traffic backed up in the other lane so it wasn't possible for him to pass. I had a strong secondary position on the narrow road. He cut around sharply at the first break in the queue, but oncoming traffic meant there was not enough time pass in the other lane, cutting back in whilst passing alongside me. If I had picked up speed it would have guaranteed a collision. Such a selfish prick. If I had caught up with him my bike might well have been thrown through the windshield. It would have felt good to put the farker out of work few days whilst his van was repaired. I felt so indignant that anyone would do this deliberately to a vulnerable road user. Are we just supposed to continue to take this abuse?

It might be due to the recent arrival of my daughter, but I never thought I would feel like this. I'm seriously considering quitting night/winter cycle commuting. I'm not sure it's entirely rational... but this one section of my route which is pretty much unavoidable seems to be a black spot for dangerous and impatient drivers. There is an alternative off road route, which is OK and passable in the Spring through to early autumn... but as soon as the clocks switch it's too dark, not to mention boggy and rutted to pass safely.

I spent 3 hours last night looking at cheap city cars. Toyota Aygo, Seat Mii etc. I'm thise close to pulling the trigger. I left the bike at home today. It feels sad that it has come to this. I'm strongly pro cycle commuting and hate dependance on motor transport, it's a source of many frustrations and I feel conflicted contributing to congestion/air pollution/climate change, not to mention sitting in traffic, but the infrastructure for safe cycling is just not available for the most dangerous sections of my commute. I feel I don't have an alternative.

Anyone else here quit commuting come winter time?

Much sympathy with your situation, but I'm not sure why you feel it's winter specific?

Winter commuting can be unpleasant - dark, wet , cold- but if you have decent lights personally I think you're probably safer than in summer of anything.

Anyway, good luck and let the bastards grind you down.

tom73

Guru
I can't blame you for thinking you've had enough. Just take your time with a clear head and clear thinking having looked at the pros and cons inc the money side and end up having sat down and in the claim light of day you still go down the car route then good luck to you.

Equally do the same with off road all year round idea. You can always try it and see how you go and how best to ride it when it's at it's worse.

Shame you don't want to report him but if you keep getting no where than it's understandable. Posting the footage all over SM will more than do the job. Companies get very twitchy now and value good PR so will want to be seen dealing with this sort of thing.

What ever you do it's your choice at least it sound's like this has not put you off cycling for good. Which is all power to you some would have walked away.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@tom73 , thanks, I have been cycle commuting since 2014, I've seen it all. Verbal abuse, threats of being run over, being clobbered with tools from the back of the truck, blah blah blah. I have crashed 5 times now, 2 on slippery corners, 2 involving idiot drivers turning into junctions/cycle lanes without looking/indicating and most recently a couple pedestrians stepping out in front of me without looking. None of that put me off, it's part and parcel of mixing with people and motors, I've never been seriously hurt on account of being incredibly cautious and well versed in road positioning, but 100's of close passes in, it seems like serious injury is going to happen sooner or later. I'm not talking about run of the mill 0.5 meter passes, I'm talking about an inch or two, real nerve rattlers.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Understandably shaken,

And yes having kids makes you more nervous around stuff in general, suddenly you feel a greater weight of responsibility on your shoulders.

So if you have an accident will you feel that could have avoided it by taking the car, you should have be more 'sensible' ya de ya..

Which is a shame, cos its other people being irresponsible not you.

And the DPD driver is totally at fault..

But so is the company for driving the delivery schedule so hard.

And that happens cos we want our stuff yesterday, but delivered cheap, and so on..
I'd say give yourself time, to give yourself a cool headed decision, but it's always a shame to give something up because the world is getting more inconsiderate, impatient, and uncaring.

If we give in to all that, then the b*st*rds have won.

But at the same time it's your personal choice.

But report it, put it outon t'internet, raise awareness all that too..

In the long run you'll be a fitter, happier, and better off parent if you keep cycling.
But I understand your concern too..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've quit commuting by bike, too many broken bones, too often, and unfortunately nearly being permanently confined to nappies and a wheel chair - gave it up.

This morning's standard of tom foolery, in the snow and ice, just backed it up. There are too many idiots on the roads.

Anyway, finishing early and going for an off road ride with my Ice Spikers

beany_bot

Veteran
I've quit commuting by bike, too many broken bones, too often, and unfortunately nearly being permanently confined to nappies and a wheel chair - gave it up.

This morning's standard of tom foolery, in the snow and ice, just backed it up. There are too many idiots on the roads.

Anyway, finishing early and going for an off road ride with my Ice Spikers
Jesus. How many broken bones did you get commuting!? Touch wood but I've been bike commuting for 10 years and have never been hit yet let alone a broken bone. And yes im commuting right through traffic into the centre of Glasgow.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jesus. How many broken bones did you get commuting!? Touch wood but I've been bike commuting for 10 years and have never been hit yet let alone a broken bone. And yes im commuting right through traffic into the centre of Glasgow.

Smashed up shoulder around 2008 - required surgery. Broken hand about 20 years ago.

Broken ribs and slight concussion 4 years ago, then 3 years ago unstable spinal fracture (broken L1 and T12 completely through) and four ribs.

All drivers turning across me, one ran into the back of me. That's Manchester for you - there isn't a critical mass of cyclists. Two of those accidents were hit and run.

As a married man, with two kids, and the main 'bread winner', being an invalid for 7 months plus made me re-think the risks. Being a nats whisker from being in a wheelchair (and being in resus - almost moved to intensive care - they came to the spinal ward due to the fact my blood oxygen was incredibly low) makes you think again.

It's also hard accepting these life changing injuries, hence a not such a fun 3 years, and now getting CBT, back rehab and counselling.

I'd also stopped enjoying the commute, so I'll stick to 'enjoying riding' from now on. I've stopped riding roads too.

A shame, but the injury put my family through the wrangle too much.

My wife still thinks I'm mad - I'm going out in the snow tonight, but I'll not be near any cars and I have the right equipment and spiked tyres.

beany_bot

Veteran
Smashed up shoulder around 2008 - required surgery. Broken hand about 20 years ago.

Broken ribs and slight concussion 4 years ago, then 3 years ago unstable spinal fracture (broken L1 and T12 completely through) and four ribs.

All drivers turning across me, one ran into the back of me. That's Manchester for you - there isn't a critical mass of cyclists. Two of those accidents were hit and run.

As a married man, with two kids, and the main 'bread winner', being an invalid for 7 months plus made me re-think the risks. Being a nats whisker from being in a wheelchair (and being in resus - almost moved to intensive care - they came to the spinal ward due to the fact my blood oxygen was incredibly low) makes you think again.

It's also hard accepting these life changing injuries, hence a not such a fun 3 years, and now getting CBT, back rehab and counselling.

I'd also stopped enjoying the commute, so I'll stick to 'enjoying riding' from now on. I've stopped riding roads too.

A shame, but the injury put my family through the wrangle too much.

My wife still thinks I'm mad - I'm going out in the snow tonight, but I'll not be near any cars and I have the right equipment and spiked tyres.
Wow, so sorry to hear about all that. Totally understand you keeping off the road and well done for sticking it as long as you did. Sounds like you stopped just in time. Enjoy your ride tonight.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I thought this a short while ago, after getting close passes on every possible route home. I then looked at how many times overall I had travelled these routes. My local police will generally send out a warning letter on a close pass (unless another car is endangered, in which case they will NIP:wacko: which shows where the priorities lie somewhat) but obviously that's too late if one is actually biffed off the bike. I then thought about the misery of being stuck in the car & the joy of the commute into work on sunny bright mornings like today. I hope you can reflect & rationalise the statistical likelihood of being injured.

Top Bottom