Quitting Winter Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have quite a wide choice of possible routes, so I choose carefully depending on lighting and weather conditions. I don't use psyclepaths in the dark (too many unlit cyclists and chavs wanting to cause trouble).

On main roads you can almost always avoid close passes, even if deliberate, by riding far enough out that you can swing in another foot or two precisely as the vehicle passes. There is nothing they can do, even if they're deliberately trying to get you (which is vanishingly rare). You have to use your ears for this, so no headphones!

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Christ, in a decade of near daily commuting all weathers and seasons, and 2 decades of casual bike commuting, I never so much as stubbed my toe! I guess I must live in a fairly quiet area of Syria.
20 miles a day in and out of Bradford makes you a bit of a target and we all know the more minutes we spend in the saddle, the more likely a collision is. Someone doing a gentle 3 mile pootle will experience a lot less trouble over the course of a year. Plenty of Syrians around too(*).

*Other creeds and ethnicities also widely available.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Something snapped last night. Yet another close pass, a DPD van driver. He was stuck behind me for ~30 seconds on a climb with stationary traffic backed up in the other lane so it wasn't possible for him to pass... I had a strong secondary position on the narrow road. He cut around sharply at the first break in the queue, but oncoming traffic meant there was not enough time pass in the other lane, cutting back in whilst passing alongside me. If I had picked up speed it would have guaranteed a collision. Such a selfish prick. If I had caught up with him my bike might well have been thrown through the windshield. It would have felt good to put the farker out of work few days whilst his van was repaired. I felt so indignant that anyone would do this deliberately to a vulnerable road user. Are we just supposed to continue to take this abuse?

No, but don't be defeated either. Submit the data to DHL as well as the police as others have stated.

It might be due to the recent arrival of my daughter, but I never thought I would feel like this. I'm seriously considering quitting night/winter cycle commuting. I'm not sure it's entirely rational... but this one section of my route which is pretty much unavoidable seems to be a black spot for dangerous and impatient drivers. There is an alternative off road route, which is OK and passable in the Spring through to early autumn... but as soon as the clocks switch it's too dark, not to mention boggy and rutted to pass safely.
.... I feel I don't have an alternative.

There's always an alternative: my commute would normally take me up to the M62 past the White Rose Centre. One too many close passes and it's moved from a 10 mile to a 12 mile commute via Middleton and Tingley; quieter and much nicer to ride.

What's the route you're taking in/out of the city?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
There's always an alternative: my commute would normally take me up to the M62 past the White Rose Centre. One too many close passes and it's moved from a 10 mile to a 12 mile commute via Middleton and Tingley; quieter and much nicer to ride.

What's the route you're taking in/out of the city?

Starting at Bradford Royal Infrim. ending in Gildersome, Leeds. I am currently riding via Manningham to Bradford city centre then on the cycle superhighway to Pudsey, toward Tong road via Roker Lane then up to Gildersome lane (near woodcock pub on whitehall road).

This off road section is via Sykes Wood from Tong Road which bypasses Back Ln. and Gildersome Ln. to positively peaceful Dale Ln. (questionably tresspass cycling on a bridleway, but another matter for another day) and mostly quiet roads to home.

Nearest sensible alternative route would take me via A650 (hell on earth) or part on A58, also unpleasant.

OR via NCN66, which I did entertain, but that would add another 4.5 miles or 25 minutes to an already lengthy commute, and I'm not sure the roads back through Cleckheaton, Gomersal and Birstall are any better. I know they are not the most pleasant to drive on! Although I have never had any reason to experiment out that way on the bike.

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Pavement cycling for the shoot bit?

Car commute part way?

It's s shame you are made to consider dropping cycling because of the selfish acts of others.:sad:

[edit] had a quick look at Back Lane on google maps and straight away I can see why it's unpleasant. One of those urban trunk roads that have been built/restructured with no consideration for cyclists or pedestrians.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
@confusedcyclist sounds like you've had your fair share of planks in boxers on wheels and can believe it all. In my short time I've had a few inc twice having a range rover drive at me. I don't commute so can more or less ride at times and routes that are "safer". So don't have the daily everyone in a rush sod everyone else traffic. Well you can only hope some of your planks end up in custody when a certain cycling Custody Nurse is on duty. They may find themselves on the blunt end of a needle :whistle:

I understand your thinking i've been on the wrong end of a car crossing the road and ended up getting a bit smashed up. Like I said it's your choice only you can call it and when you've made it you will know if it's the right one. :okay:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@400bhp
I have resorted to cycling a portion of back lane on the pavement already. Not much luck on gildersome lane. It's too narrow in parts, overhanging shrubs and trees, and often pedestrians/joggers about.

beany_bot

Veteran
I feel sorry for you. Just had a look at your commute. Yeah it really sucks. No "good" options for you. just not nice. I am so lucky I have a towpath I can use.
Genuine comment.... Would you consider moving somewhere more bike friendly? Perhaps seek a promotion somewhere more bike friendly? Not just for you but somewhere your kid can safely cycle too as they grow up! I don't know, maybe you were thinking about moving anyway? who knows. just a thought. Happiness and quality of life trumps all.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I feel sorry for you. Just had a look at your commute. Yeah it really sucks. No "good" options for you. just not nice. I am so lucky I have a towpath I can use.
Genuine comment.... Would you consider moving somewhere more bike friendly? Perhaps seek a promotion somewhere more bike friendly? Not just for you but somewhere your kid can safely cycle too as they grow up! I don't know, maybe you were thinking about moving anyway? who knows. just a thought. Happiness and quality of life trumps all.
Not as bizarre a suggestion as it may sound.

A few years ago my wife started looking at properties in the 'posher' parts of south Manchester. One of the houses she really took a shine to was a do'er up'er that was in a great area and had a huge garden. I put a stop to it straight away! My reason, it was only about 1 mile from my place of work and that just wasn't going to be sufficient for a cycle commute. I told her to draw a circle about 8-12 miles around my work and start looking there...….

We stayed where we are, 10.5 miles by bike from my work :laugh:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Not as bizarre a suggestion as it may sound.

A few years ago my wife started looking at properties in the 'posher' parts of south Manchester. One of the houses she really took a shine to was a do'er up'er that was in a great area and had a huge garden. I put a stop to it straight away! My reason, it was only about 1 mile from my place of work and that just wasn't going to be sufficient for a cycle commute. I told her to draw a circle about 8-12 miles around my work and start looking there...….

We stayed where we are, 10.5 miles by bike from my work :laugh:
You could have gone 5 miles in the opposite direction, then turned round and come back! :laugh:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Yes, I have footage too. West yorkshire police have been rubbish lately at dealing with my reports, after initial success when I first got my camera. I'll not bother again. Reporting drivers doesn't correlate with a reduction of twunts in the road, sadly, therefore reporting seems futile to me.

I am definitely hoping to take the rest of the week off. Trouble is we only have one car and DW requires the use of it most days... hence the knee jerk reaction to looking into used cars.

Just on the issue of the footage, DPD were very receptive to footage I recently sent them. First contact was made through their web site. They asked for detail of what happened and asked for the footage to be sent to them. I am told (unverified) that DPD have what was called a "heat map" of drivers, which I believe is a record of complaints made drivers. Also that the driver in my particular case would be spoken to.
Of course, this may be BS by the company and simply their means of keeping good relations with the general public, but in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I took it at face value.
I also made a report to GMP, but they CBA.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Starting at Bradford Royal Infrim. ending in Gildersome, Leeds. I am currently riding via Manningham to Bradford city centre then on the cycle superhighway to Pudsey, toward Tong road via Roker Lane then up to Gildersome lane (near woodcock pub on whitehall road).

This off road section is via Sykes Wood from Tong Road which bypasses Back Ln. and Gildersome Ln. to positively peaceful Dale Ln. (questionably tresspass cycling on a bridleway, but another matter for another day) and mostly quiet roads to home.

Nearest sensible alternative route would take me via A650 (hell on earth) or part on A58, also unpleasant.

OR via NCN66, which I did entertain, but that would add another 4.5 miles or 25 minutes to an already lengthy commute, and I'm not sure the roads back through Cleckheaton, Gomersal and Birstall are any better. I know they are not the most pleasant to drive on! Although I have never had any reason to experiment out that way on the bike.

I can see your issues, but IMO the superhighway is a horrid route. Too many stop/start junctions where you're just hoping for the best.

To me round to the NCN66 would be easier, quieter and safer. I'd suggest coming off at the Mount Street point by the B6120 in Cleckheaton before the Tesco and cutting through to cross the A638 and up Balme Road/Cliffe Lane. That brings you out at Gomersal Public Hall. From there left and right onto Moor Lane to cross the A652 onto Nutter Lane by Oakwell Hall, which becomes Nova Lane. The only issue is a bit of the A650 if you use Fieldhead Lane.

I'm not sure how much further it is, probably not much if you're going via Pudsey, but it's an awful lot safer. Possibly quicker too as you're keeping going rather than having to stop a lot.

classic33

Leg End Member
Possibly. I think I need to give this some real consideration. Not sure I fancy a 10 mile commute with knobbly tyres and getting regularly caked in mud!
Used to do an 181/2 commute into Leeds, then 250, over a four day weekend, split shifts on knobblies. On the roads, with the ability to cope with the colder weather or Off-Road if need be.

A bit more upright than a road bike, but easily doable.

The idiots will be out at any time of the day, not just the morning & evenings. Have a think before deciding to quit.

Top Bottom