Quitting Winter Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
I thought you said you were looking at cheap car?! I bought a second car a few years ago because for various reasons one car wasn't enough at the time - I picked up a straight, honest Fiesta for £500. Had it through two MOTs with minimal work (one year it was a light bulb, other year about £100 worth of bushes) before I sold it for £450. I mean, it was hot in summer because the A/C didn't work, but you can use your bike then. It never once let us down, that little Fester.
I got my car for £700 a few years ago (2004 Hyundai Santa Fe). Flies through MOT's, its mint. Just got it for the odd occasion I need to haul stuff around. Shes a V6!! :tongue: Thirsty bugger but because I use it so infrequently it doesn't cost me much or impact the environment much. Annoys me greatly my VED tax is so much (because of engine size). But I hardly use it. Really should be done on mileage.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I thought you said you were looking at cheap car?! I bought a second car a few years ago because for various reasons one car wasn't enough at the time - I picked up a straight, honest Fiesta for £500. Had it through two MOTs with minimal work (one year it was a light bulb, other year about £100 worth of bushes) before I sold it for £450. I mean, it was hot in summer because the A/C didn't work, but you can use your bike then. It never once let us down, that little Fester.

Fair point. To be honest, I haven't bought a really really cheap car before. The thought of a £500 car makes me worry about hidden maintenance costs down the road. Capital outlay isn't my biggest problem, after I eventually sell it on, it will have only cost me the running costs and depreciation.

Having said that, I've experienced new cars with technical problems, so I'm under no illusion buying nearly new is any protection. Both my last two cars had electrical faults develop within warranty timeframes, but I didn't pay for those... so no biggy.

I'd be prepared to sell the car after a year or two if my circumstance changed. I was looking at <3 year old cars with <30k mileage, knowing full well won't be running it into the ground, putting no more than 2k on the clock over the winter. Depreciation shouldn't be a big problem based on the numbers I was running.

Out of interest, what year and how many miles did she have on her when you bought her?

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear about this, the driver deserved a smashed windscreen after that and one day he will get what is coming to him.
Is there really no alternative road route you could take that by passes the road?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Sorry to hear about this, the driver deserved a smashed windscreen after that and one day he will get what is coming to him.
Is there really no alternative road route you could take that by passes the road?
Sadly not, coming home from the other direction would take me up a horrible 3 lane motorway like A road.

KneesUp

Guru
Fair point. To be honest, I haven't bought a really really cheap car before. The thought of a £500 car makes me worry about hidden maintenance costs down the road. Capital outlay isn't my biggest problem, after I eventually sell it on, it will have only cost me the running costs and depreciation.

But my £500 Fiesta depreciated by £50 in two years. A £6k car will depreciate much more than 10% in that time. I just make the obvious checks - does it start ok, does it sound ok, does it have weird stuff coming out the exhaust, does the MOT history suggest it's ok, does it have some service history, is the oil oil coloured, or at least black - and then take it to my local garage and get them to give it the once over once I've bought it - basically asking them what might need looking at in the next year. One car I bought they looked at on a Friday but wouldn't give it me back because they showed me photos of it's camblelt being basically down to the threads, but other than that the 4 or 5 cars I've taken to them over the years have all been fine. Don't buy a £500 car expecting it to be perfect, buy it expecting to spend a few hundred on fixing things to get yourself basically a perfectly functioning old car. Chances are you won't need to spend that money, but account for it, and you can't go far wrong.

The Fester had about 120k on her when we bought her, which is nothing for a modern engine. You can strip down a Zetec engine after 100k miles and it will still be in blueprint tolerances. The car had a complete top end rebuild about 30k prior - long enough to be new, old enough for me to be certain it had been done properly. I've bought various high mileage cars - a 120k Citroen, two 100k+ Hondas, a 90k Seat and a 90k Fiat. Only the Fiat was any bother - and it was a Fiat, so it was probably trouble when it was new. I've also drive an Alfa from c.30k to c.130k, and that was fine too. If you service a modern car properly they last a long, long time.

beany_bot

Veteran
How long is this particularly bad stretch? Primary could be the way?

Drago

Legendary Member
What you need is a Smart car. Why spend a penny more than necessary on tax an insurance, and why cause unnecessary pollution moving around 4 empty seats? The downside is unless you're willing to take a risk and/or are a good spanner man you need to spend £2k minimum to get a viable proposition.

But really, get back on the bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I thought you said you were looking at cheap car?!
I blame the car industry! I had a newsletter type email from the RAC last week and the headline topic was something along the lines of 'Best cheap car buys - 10 bargain buys for under £5000'

As I deleted the email and unsubscribed from future emails I did think maybe their idea of a cheap car was a little skewed.

However, it does serve the more sensible car buyer quite well because as long as the masses keep believing that anything older than Xyrs or cheaper than £5k is a death trap it just further reduces the cost of buying these perfectly good older vehicles that can be little gems if a little care is exercised during the purchase. Obviously there are some death traps out there, but they usually become apparent very quickly, even at the point of reading the advert.

Top Bottom