Quitting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK.

I spent the last week off the bike/gym with a nasty flu with the most disgusting cough on the side. So.......i think it time for another shot at going smoke free.

I'm dreading it, but i've resolved to throw out the ashtrays and lighters as soon as the new bike arrives (tomorrow or weds hopefully).

This isn't a post for you lot really, but i'm just going to use it to vent my frustrations and publicly babble about stuff as the nicotine drains from my body.

Tollers

Good luck, Tollers!

Hopefully this will give you the push you need!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lung+cancer&go=&form=QBIR#

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Good luck mate!

May the positive side effects of not smoking bless you with increased endurance and the lung capacity of an amazon God....

I knew someone who said hynotism was useful for helping him quit.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Thanks all,

Dayvo....i think the link you meant was actually http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/s...cancer&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-702

TT - I want more than just lung capacity of an amazon god, but you have to start somewhere. I'm not going to try hypnotism....patches to start with for first few days/weeks then cold turkey.

I'll keep you all updated, but please excuse me if any of my posts seem....."tense"

Tollers

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ttcycle said:
I knew someone who said hynotism was useful for helping him quit.

If it's any use I tried hypnotism and this is what I was told and how it went. I opted for individual therapy and it cost £300, I had a longish chat/consultation, about 45mins, where the therapist laid out the theory behind her methods and the goals. The treatment was 'guaranteed' in that a return to smoking would be met with further sessions free of charge. So:-

theory - she believed that smokers weren't addicted to nicotine but were addicted to a learned habit akin to an autonomous function. She explained this by asking if I'd enjoyed my first cigarette? obviously the answer was no. But, in order to become a smoker, you have to persevere. To do this you are overcoming your rational mind which is constantly sending signals telling you this isn't any fun. You want to do this, so those signals are ignored and your habit is formed.

strength of addiction - she explained that there are no activities, other than blinking, breathing etc, that a person carries out with more frequency than the actions of a smoker. This was why rational arguements against smoking, and even acknowledgement of these by the smoker themselves, had so little impact. Because your subconcious mind overode the concious in this matter. You'd worked so hard to aquire the smoking habit, and repeated it so often, that it had ingrained as a subconcious mind routine. All attempts by your concious mind to overide your smoking habit were foiled by the subconcious. Because the deeper part of your mind knew that smoking was a good thing. Otherwise you'd not have worked so hard to aquire the habit, nor repeated the same actions so often.

treatment - the idea was that, in a hypnotic state, she'd be able to deal directly with your subconcious. The closest analogy I can give is re computing so kind of like rewriting the core programming. I was very sceptical around the idea of being 'put under', but it seemed to work. The only noticeable impact was the passage of time, an hour passed and I'd have sworn it was no more than 15 minutes.

results - I didn't smoke for 13 days, I felt no withdrawal, no mood changes and didn't resort to sweets or anything. I began smoking again because my subconcious sneaked up on me. After 13 days I decided that I was obviously not addicted, no withdrawal etc, and so I could choose to smoke occasionally. Big mistake!!!! one cigarette and I was straight back to previous habits. Returned for another session but the hypnosis didn't take.

follow up - this was several years ago and I haven't been back since.

ASC1951

Guru
I can see why a hypnotist would take the "it's just a habit" line, but IIRC nicotine is actually extremely addictive.

What works for one person won't necessarily work for another, but I was lucky to be able to stop all at once without any outside assistance. I first had to go through a couple of years of kidding myself that I was giving up i.e. smoking a bit less during the week then making up for it in the pub, but once I had decided that I really did want to stop I found it surprisingly easy.

I tried hypnosis for weight control and found it expensive and useless, although it definitely works for some people.

You rant on as much as you want, Tollers. It all helps.

Tubbs

Good luck! I quit over a year ago now and have never looked back. I tried patches but used ones far too strong for me and they gave me a bad headache and made me feel drugged - I also had horrible nightmares! Anyway, I used them for a few days (smoking was the last thing I wanted to do), then I had to stop using them - cold turkey from patches was like something off Trainspotting - I didn't sleep and couldn't sit still for a minute.

I got through this week of hell and thought - 'my god that can't have been for nothing - I definitely can't start smoking again now'. So overdosing on patches worked for me. ;)

I also spent a lot of time on websites for quitting smoking - treated it like a project. Study it and what it does to you, face all the things you try to shut your eyes to whilst still smoking. Watch all the anti-smoking YouTube clips and write down the pros and cons of smoking (there won't be many pros). Every time you feel weak look at your cons list - we have a habit of forgetting them when the craving is strong - remind yourself and remember that cravings don't last long. Keep yourself busy, treat yourself with lots of nice food and don't worry about weight - there's time later to sort that out.

Best of luck - just do it.

Tollers!

Didn't mean to be nasty, but shock-treatment can sometimes work.

I remember at school we had a biology lesson and there were two sets of lungs there for us to look and prod at; one set belonged to someone who had died of lung cancer, and the other one didn't (he died of something healthier!).

Left a lasting impression on me (but I admit to having smoked a max. of 15 cigarettes in my life).

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tollers said:
TT - I want more than just lung capacity of an amazon god

You don't ask for much do you Tollers?

A few of my friends who smoke (I'm lucky that I don't) mention the stress relief that cigarettes bring - smoking cessation looks also at your ability to deal with stress - strategies of stress management might be worth looking into to help you cope with quitting. Ironically, the heightened level of arousal that cigarettes bring means that to return to that heightened state becomes normal rather than being baseline normal physiologically.

Cigarettes are very addictive -studies show that comparing cocaine with caffeine and nicotine under lab conditions - people often mistake the caffeine and nicotine rush with the coke...food for thought as to why it's very addictive but won't go into pharmacology here!

Post away if it helps...good luck!

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
OK. Bike arrived yesterday and i put on my first patch. So 21 hour hours down ;) so far i threw myself in the deep end last night and ended up out in town witha few bottles of vino in my belly and managed to cope. Maybe it'd be a good idea to keep confronting situations where im tempted to smoke. Must be better long term than avoidance.

Tollers

Top Bottom